Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fossil

This fossil was given to me by an old man who said it came from the Red River when a bridge was being built many years ago.It's been in my closet for while as I have nowhere else to put it and don't want it. Not big into fossils so I don't really know what I have. Can anyone shine some light on what I've got? Weighs about 80 pounds.

Chris J

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Fossil

An ammonite, a very successful family of early squids......first showed up about 400 million years go and disappeared with the dinos about 60 million years ago. 340 million years is pretty good run evolution wise and any other wise. The Red River and Lake Texoma on the Tex-Okie border always seemed to me to be the epicenter of the world for ammonites. Two other boys and I dug an ammonite out of a cliff face that measured nearly six feet across. Those folks at the Carter Museum in Ft Worth have there somewhere amongst their plunder. I remember we hauled it up the cliff face with a stolen set of loggin' chains and a "borrowed D8...........happened a long time ago.
Maybe give Google Ammonite for sale a try.......folks do buy and sell 'em.

Re: Fossil

Thanks Redman

CJ