Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New finds sweet montell

WEnt diggin again yesterday and found a couple of good points.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: New finds sweet montell

Sweet indeed.
Isn't that something how some Montell Makers knocked themselves out to have dead straight sides and others made that "radical" expanded leaf design.

very nice!! looks like an early archaic gower reared its beautifull head.

very nice!! i love those montells

Man Tuck,

That Montell is awesome. I haven't seen one shaped like that, it's really cool. You definetly have on heck of a spot. If you ever need help cleaning out your hole just let me know.

Thanks for all of the nice comments! It sure is funny shaped, thought it was a Castro when I pulled it out then a little hunk of dirt fell off and I saw what it was. It is strange though sh, that I was finding almost nothing but straight sided triangle montells for a long time... But recently many are convex sided leaf shaped points... So why the variation? All of the points I've ever posted have come from the same 6x20 hole on one site.

Tucker
It is strange though sh, that I was finding almost nothing but straight sided triangle montells for a long time... But recently many are convex sided leaf shaped points... So why the variation?

Tuck, more ammunition for the Montell conundrum...

Back to front pg, very top left icon labeled " SCREEN DIG ADVENTURES "
Cursor 55% down, See " Dale got this beautiful Montell "

Well it's a good leaf design...and on the way down to 55 you passed MANY severe staight siders...all from the Camp Wood area along the Nueces.

Maybe a true knife trait made for cutting rather than throwing

i just love the semetry of the leaf/ spade shaped artifacts. here are my 2 best examples, 1 small 1 large.
Photobucket

Tucker
I was finding almost nothing but straight sided triangle montells for a long time... But recently many are convex sided leaf shaped points... So why the variation?

Here's some input from the top..
I was standing at Dwain Roger's table at the Luling show when a fellow handed him this frame of points from Camp Wood for ID and comments.

Photobucket

D said it was a "knife " Montell. They made them deliberatly extra wide for slicing rather than as a projectile point. Said he has seen them longer but the example shown was about as wide as they get.

Fellow to my left chimed in and said his digging crew calls them "Perch" Montells for their resemblance to a fish.

You got a current fishing license Tuck ?

Good addition to this topic Dusty. Even from widely separated sites, interesting how close they all are in overall design.

This one from Williamson county

Photobucket

love the leaf shaped ones.