Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Got a good question.

How do yall feel about buying/ selling artifacts? I personaly would never sell one though i have bought a few. I hope this doesnt start a wildfire just had the same talk with a friend and wanted to know yalls take.

Re: Got a good question.

il say this as well i dont look down on anyone for what they do its not my job i was just getting a feel for what yall think.

i hear ya brad once again i do believe you do what you have to do. My wife has a much better job than me and wed be very screwed if she lost it. My buddy was very one sided with his view so i figured a disscusion was in order. Also i havent found a whole lot but i cherish every piece broke or not. I just bought a basetang so my curiosity takes hold sometimes. Btw Brad i still want a pianting bring it to the digg, or ccc this friday

I respect those that buy or sell points but have personally made it a habit not to. One of my collections was donated to a museum over 40 years ago and the current one will be passed down to our children.
On both collections, all the points were personal finds and only my wife and myself know exactly where and when they were found and the conditions that were current at the time.

Thanks T how do you keep track, ive stared to log my finds in a book with date and county. My brother keeps threatining to give me his collection though small its nicer than mine. His biggest thing is he wants them to be seen for a long time not sold. Im looking forward to seeing them! Im wierd about marking on an artifact but fear as i get older my memeory will fade.

I started a ledger back in the late 50's on the first collection with all the info. This second collection is saved on flash drive with pic's, GPS coord's and other pertinent information. May not mean anything to anybody else but it's hard to remember where a point found 15 years ago came from.
I use DeLorme's Topo map and Google Earth on all the more recent finds. That wasn't available years back.
Does make it interesting on some of the local finds, you start seeing patterns on where sites are located on creeks and rivers and also the ages of these sites. A red X marks the spots on Paleo find sites and a black X marks sites Archaic to Pre-Historic. Some sites overlap, some stand alone.

now thats what i call a little black book sites and more sites. Thanks ill start fooling with gps finaly. Google maps is funn but has yet to prove helpful for me. Im fairly new so not very sure what im looking for. Thanks for the input and vision of 60 years of collecting. The collection you donated is available to view or stored for records. Thanks agian ive already learned alot.

I tried to download one of the pic's to Photobucket but since they're all done on Power Point, they can't be converted otherwise I'd post one and show you how I keep mine documented. Sorry

IMO, to each his own!
For me personally...If I find it, I don't want to part with it and if I didn't find it, I don't want a part of owning it.
For those of you that hunt whitetail, for example, may understand this analogy: If I kill a buck worthy of being mounted, then I'm putting it on the wall for everybody to see. On the other hand, I would not consider buying a mount that somebody else killed because, to me, that's just decoration.

Now, if I had a garage full of artifacts and needed to make room for more, then I'd probably consider selling a few But, since I'm relatively new to this, that ain't happening just yet!

Here's one format for documenting your finds.

Im with Brad on this one I would sell anything I bought but I would never sell unless I HAD to anything I find I keep every broken peice I find all artifacts to me!

T im greatful for your time, this will help me for years to come!

No problem. You can open your pic's with Windows Paint and add text or even edit the point.
That way, years down the road you'll have all the info. on what, when, and where the point was found. Beats that little black book, especially if your hand writing is as bad as mine.
You can actually have the whole days worth of finds in one pic. since basicly all the coord's are in the same area.