Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
April Drools

I actually found these Thursday so technically I guess it's march drools. I know what the big blade is. Want to see if anyone else knows. I was dancing when this appeared. Really I was drooling! Heavy patina so I took a pic of both sides.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Re: April Drools

Where did you find them?

Fayette Co. near LaGrange.

So no one has a clue? No opinions? No guesses?

Lerma or Hare-By-Face. Perhaps Ovoid By-Face. What have you named it? Its a nice one for sure ! Congrats.

Not Lerma, not Harahey. Clue...base is ground.

Big Agate Basin and Angostura blades with ground bases have been found near La Grange. That is a lifetime blade until you find a better one.

I'm not convinced its Agate Basin however that type can be very old with a ground base.. I dont see Angus in the base. Time to name that point ! Whatever it is its killer and worthy of its own case.

I'm going to leave it on the board to allow for a few more guesses. I know someone will identify it. It is the first of this type I have found. I have seen others of this type from the area. Some are way nicer than this. This camp has not produced much paleo and I believe this one is not resharpened. I may be wrong. I may see what DR has to say on the matter. I'm not going to paper it, I think he may just like to see it.

Mahaffey....Awesome find!!!

Those are all great finds. What with being found with all those young points and being ground....
I'm glad I'm about out of the guesstimate business

Looks Hellgap?

Kudos to EPABLO1. Bingo! You you are the winner. Mahaffey is what I believe it to be. I have found a beat up Hellgap and a Plainview drill on this camp. This camp has a big range of point types. Even found 1 funky Montell. Finding mostly Darl and birdies at this time. Did find the Marcos on Thursday too. Or at least I think it's a Marcos. Not many Marcos points here. Would like to find a Corner Tang but it's not looking good.

If I had it, I would call it a first stage Harahey Knife. If it is ground, it could be Angostura Knife.
Just my opinion.
Bill Arnold

Hey, I'm open to all opinions. All I really know for sure is that I really like it! Hope to find more. I will bring it to a show first chance I get and let you see it.
First stage Harahey or Angostura or Mahaffey, it's a find of a lifetime for me. Will be back at the site hard in the coming weeks. I don't want to suffer the heat this summer. Getting to old for that. Last summer was hard on me. My mind says "oh yes you can, but the body says oh no you can't".

I am looking at Overstreet's 9th Edition; if that blade is in fact a Mahaffey its a lot better piece than anything he has in his book. Overstreet says the Mahaffey is related to the Agate Basin. Hester doesn't mention the Mahaffey in his book but he does make reference to the Hell Gap being related to the Angostura and Agate Basin. All four blade types fall within the Paleo Era and are probably closely related..............and then there's the the Archaic Knife to consider.

dont know what it is but it sure is an awsome blade...
nice finds.

elpablo1
Mahaffey....Awesome find!!!
good call bro. I hate that i always seem to be away from the the computer for a few days when these id posts are made. oh well i would have called it a lerma or hell gap anyway without even consulting the books. BTW. very nice finds.

Thanks all for the input. Anyone have a similar blade? Anything that even resembles it. From any area in Texas. Or matter of fact, from any area at all. I would like to see some other examples.

Flintpig
Thanks all for the input. Anyone have a similar blade? Anything that even resembles it. From any area in Texas. Or matter of fact, from any area at all. I would like to see some other examples.

almost makes me want to rethink this one from the hunt.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Here are some examples of similar blades I have found. They are all different than my latest find. These are all found in Fayette or Colorado Co.
Photobucket

That one Pat just posted looks pretty close in general design -- thats West TX

qFNQAbTlUaSpwNYcKbM

Superior thinking demonstrated above. Thnkas!

ouTCZlcdnJtqtegGv

I5426f mleffzzoapiu