Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
polished "rock" / meteroite

Photobucket

ok been filing and grinding and polishing on this now for a few days...so let me know what you think, hoping it a meteorite so we can help a firned out. Again, thanks for everyone's opinion

Re: polished "rock" / meteroite

Is it magnetic, is it heavy, what first gave you the impression that it was a meteorite and why are you filing, grinding and polishing it ?

with what we have seen and read about meteorites.and the grinding and filing and polishing is to open a window to see the inside of it a bit. it is heavy for the size and a magnet will stick to it

Likely what you have is Hematite. If it were a meteorite you would see Chondrules, small, colorful, grain-like spheres which occur in most stone meteorites, hence the name of these stone meteorites —chondrites. Chondrites are the most common type of meteorite. Chondrules are not found in earth rocks. There is another heavy iron looking rock, and Hal knows the name of it. Looks like a musket ball and you have a devil of a time trying to flatten it. We do have a Meterorite expert with us named "Old Man Christensen". He is a reported expert on what a real one looks like. Perhaps he will weigh in if he is not napping..

that would be great if he could take a gander at what all of us have posted and post an opinion. Ours has little "silver" like tubes in the rock so still not certain but we do have a lab we are taking ours to, i can only hope they are meteorites lol so will let everyone know when i find out. Thanks again for the postings and your opinions.

Latest advise; STOP FILING ..IF that was a meteorite you are losing 20 dollars with every pass of the file.

It's not a meteorite. It's terrestial, just a matter of having a professional tell you how it was formed.

Good display of Hemetite Nate.

ok its on its way to Colorado..so will know in about 2 seeks again thanks to everyone for their opinions!

I am awake and I find it hard to agree with the Man from Down Under (alias-Mr Potatohead) but in this case I would agree but in order to see the chondrules, the specimen must be cut to reveal it's inside. A chondrule is defined as a "Spherical body found in a stony chondrite meteorite formed by the remelting of mineral grains in a solar nebula".I further agree with Brad in his analysis. Hematite nodules are naturally occurring. Nate, the specimens you show do not exhibit any ablation which is the melting or vaporization of the crust of a meteorite as it passes through the earth's atmosphere.

yes they got it...they have the rock back but still waiting on the test resutls for nickle and siler...so should know by Monday of Tuesday. So will post results when we get them back. hubby has so many different "rocks" now he is wondering how many might could be meteorites.....lol lordy...onward and upward...thanks for everyones opinions greatly appreciate it. Now he wants to send in his petrified Texas palm lol... maybe next time lol .
we were just messing in the flower bed with the rocks we had there and the metal detector went off on most all of them.....so will see how it goes

ok got the results back its passed for nickle and iron but no silver but the little silver hairs in it under a black light look royal blue. May send it to Arizona for next testing.

Hi, Tom thanks for your information, hubby wanted me to ask you if you have the means to cut and polish a piece of it? He says he dosnt mind sending you a sample to look at. If not can you recommend a place?

It will be tough to catch him awake. Keep trying.,,,

As iron deposits go thats a very pure sample...hope it doesn't turn out to be a piece of an old Tractor

Sandy, I do not have the capability to cut the sample. depending where you are located, you may want to take it to a university nearby with a Geology Department for their input. There are 3 major types of meteorites: Irons, Mesosiderites and Chondrites. based on the photo, it's only chance of being a meteorite lies in the middle catagory.