Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DIY Wiggle Picks

I'm looking for some Do-It-Yourself ideas for making a wiggle pick. I've seen various types on here and would like some ideas how to make my own.
For example, how are leaf springs cut, shaped and welded to handles?

Re: DIY Wiggle Picks

The best way to cut the spring steel is to use one of those water jet cutters. Every time you have to heat that steel up and cool it back down you are weakening it. I was going to make my own too, but once I realized what is was going to take to make one the right way, I just broke down and bought one instead. I have owned it for 1 week and I love it. I have one of those ball top picks from Apple Heart. All metal and no wood and only weighs 3 lbs. It will cost ya $95, but it is worth it in my opinoin. I am a pretty cheap person sometimes, but you only have to buy this one time, and the guy that makes them backs them up so if anything ever happened to it (except for loosing it) he would hook you up. Just my two cents.

GeeTen
I have one of those ball top picks from Apple Heart. All metal and no wood and only weighs 3 lbs. It will cost ya $95, but it is worth it in my opinoin.

More info please! (put it in the Google machine and didn't find anything)

Tony (aka The Bud Man)
GeeTen
I have one of those ball top picks from Apple Heart. All metal and no wood and only weighs 3 lbs. It will cost ya $95, but it is worth it in my opinoin.

More info please! (put it in the Google machine and didn't find anything)

Frt pg, lower icons, 2nd row "APPLEHEART"

Found it! Thanks, SH!

Keep some DIY ideas coming!...

Tony (aka The Bud Man)

Keep some DIY ideas coming!...

Go to pg 2 of these here messages...find;
WIGGLE PICK PIC by BRENT

lunkerbrad
that spring steel is tuff .

Tempered steel harder than any of my tools can handle. May have to go the old, used pick direction.

Richard chrisners makes smaller sized ones fairly cheap give him a call. He has a press and uses leaf springs

Don't know how good they will work but for small ones they seem tough. Two on the left are 1 1/4" proto box end wrench welded to a piece of pipe. I have sharpened them now. Other one is a tire tool to get tires off rims a small one fiberglass handle. Gonna try to break them in.

I had planned on welding the frame together when I made the new picks but I didn't want to overwhelm my welding buddy since he doesn't charge me and it was payday Friday for him and he stayed late to work on them. It's about 23" x 48" it's gonna be pretty heavy

Good job B. I predict the red handled one will be the most used....
Lighter handle weight, larger hand grip and that tire iron steel is a great temper. I've seen that iron used by others.
Not to run down the wrench picks, they can always be used for ceremonial events if you epoxy some decorative Buffalo nickles on the ends