Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BEVERLEY'S PAY DIG SITE REPORT

I went out to dig that site north of Junction TX ( contact info, frt pg under "PAY DIGS" )

This is the left turn entry off 314

Photobucket

The midden sits right on the slope edge in the middle of the pic, this is the Llano R, lots of water.

Photobucket

The mound is not far from the house, just past the nose of this beautiful $20. truck with the $600. rims

Photobucket

Just walking around I spotted a flint lump, some delicate work with a dental pick revealed a big worked
piece.

Photobucket

We're just North of the true Kerrville Knife zone but this could be considered a Kerrville chopper ( a big flint nodule with a working edge )

Photobucket

I started digging here in old "throw" dirt that Bev said was never looked through. Found 2 broke pieces.

Photobucket

This is a closer view of the mound

Photobucket

These are heat effected rocks that mark an old hearth, always with flint flakes. The mound is the primary area of interest but the property is one full mile long, completely along the river....hearths and flint to be found almost every step of the way

Photobucket

This is the view of the river from the edge of the mound area. Took me 3 hours to walk the length of the property surface hunting. Only a tip found, but next rains = ?

Photobucket

I took Bev's advice and settled down to dig on the side of the mound away from the river

Photobucket

Bingo,,a complete point, got total of 4 worked pieces out of this hole.

Photobucket

If it's a slow day, maybe Bev can offer some diversion...here is the damage truck trailer they were unloading, had just rolled the night before.

Photobucket

Like any dig there are hundreds of chunks of non worked flint...this one showed up in such a nice insitu position , as a joke I took an "insitu " pic.

Photobucket

The yoke was on me, turned out to be the nicely worked base of a big blade . Broke but a find

Photobucket

Bev's "regulars" are going to hate this pic...Sorry..
These are clean, deep, producing holes on the previously neglected backside of the mound.

Photobucket

My days finds. Take note of the "full point"...I LOST the Zephyr! Must have missed my pocket after
picture taking

Photobucket

If you catch sight of the river like this ...you just missed the entrance to the site 50 feet back

Photobucket

Just one day to explore..now that I know where to dig, Badger & I are heading back real soon.

Re: BEVERLEY'S PAY DIG SITE REPORT

Nice write up, SH. Beverly has a beautiful property and is very accommodating.

I wished I would've had you with me when I was there, to help sift through the throw dirt because it seemed that's all I could find. My finds were similar to yours, except for the blade.

Hal,
Man, sorry you lost the Zephyr but the place looks pretty. Kinda looks like where I am from up in North Texas. Kinda washed out looking. Good report

Hal it was wonderful to have you and hope to see you soon. Lovely write up you just missed the rain and know your next visit will be great one....by the way everyone is looking for your missing point. lol

Bud, I signed in on the waiver sheet right below your name ...any finds on the first day at a new place is "normal" but next time I'll skip the mile long property hike and go right to the backside of the main midden.

Bev, the lost point lies between the hole you see me in in the above report and the next closest tree. I think
I just missed the pocket edge when I put it away...
No big deal, It's just that boring honey translucent with a red tip and sharply beveled edges

SH, if/when you head to Bev's again, let me know. I'd like to tag along and see where abouts you were diggin. I have a feeling I was real close and would've gotten to it if the pneumonia wasn't slowing me down.

Tony (aka The Bud Man)
SH, if/when you head to Bev's again, let me know.

Here's a "let me know" BubM,,,
I plan to be at Bev's at dawn on this thursday.
Bev says " bring plenty of water & shade "

SH
Tony (aka The Bud Man)
SH, if/when you head to Bev's again, let me know.

Here's a "let me know" BubM,,,
I plan to be at Bev's at dawn on this thursday.
Bev says " bring plenty of water & shade "

Thanks for the heads-up! But its a 4 hr drive and I don't think the boss will let me call in sick that day. During deer season, he knows I get "buck fever" but I'd have some explaining to do if I came down with "arrowhead fever".
I bet water and shade will be in short supply unless you bring your own. That region of Tx definitely needs some rain!!!
Good luck! I'll be there in spirit!