Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rock or ?

So even though I just started getting interested in arrowheads, I have hunted fossils for 2-3 years. And I like to pick up interesting rocks. :) So this is a rock I found a couple of years ago. The grooves are worn smooth. Am I just imaging too much into it being something other than a rock? It would fit a left-handed person better than a right-handed person too (I am right-handed). It was found off the San Gabriel river in central Texas.

So here is the top side, where your fingers would fit.

Here is the bottom side, where your thumb would fit.

My fingers in the grooves, I should have used my left hand, it fits better that way....

The "bottom" where you would grind or hit something with it? And why I think it is for a left-handed person. My daughter tells me I have a good imagination though :D

Re: Rock or ?

To me it looks as if it was used to hit something but I'm no pro putting in my 2 cents

Out of the 2 choices given,( Rock or ? ) I would have to vote for "Rock"
It's a flint nodule and no matter how well it seems to be finger indents, flint cant be worked like that ( except by mother nature )
Keep looking down

Thanks for the input guys! I am sure you will have more stupid questions from me in the future

amyboone
Thanks for the input guys! I am sure you will have more stupid questions from me in the future

quarter for scale, very good. now, what was the question again?
there are no stupid questions!!!

Indians picked up peculiar rocks and carried them home , same as we do. Sometimes they picked up rocks that were right shape, size and weight to be used as unaltered tools. That would be a case of a geofact being used as a tool and becoming an artifact in the process. Generally, rocks found along the gravel bars of rivers or creeks are just rocks. Should you find that same riverine rock on top of a high hill in a campsite or midden, then it might in fact be an artifact if wear patterns so indicate.