Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My first surface hunting find!

I was so excited to find this today. Not sure what it is but I know it is something

And I think this is just a geofact because it is too smooth?

Re: My first surface hunting find!

Congrats! Sorry but now YOU have the BUG!

never get rid of the bug either.. Kinda stuck with it for life.. Hard on the NECk from looking down all the time now too!

Congrats!

-Michelle

Excellent
N describes the 2nd, 1st is minimum of a scraper but there's a lot of work on it so it may have been on the
way to a more detailed point

Excellent
N described the 2nd, 1st is a minimum of a hide scraper but has a lot of "work" on it and so might have been on the way to a projectile point...They sell inexpensive
display frames at the Luling flint show

cool finds probably on to a good spot the first one looks like ascraper to me the second piece looks like a flake off of somethin ya probably have found a campsite exspeacially if ya start finding lots of stuff like that go back right after a rain and you will probably find more stuff when i start finding stuff like that i get excited because a point will pop up before ya knowit i live in louisiana and all i do is surface hunt i have dug very little but im gonna get started cause this crew on this site will put you in the mood to dig !!Good luck and God bless

I actually found them by walking gravel bars while kayaking, so they were probably washed up there? Or maybe from nearby but I don't want to trespass on anybody's property......

I have another place that I walk that I have found lots of chert chunks on but so far nothing though I know people have found arrowheads in the past. I have other questions about that but I will make another post later.

Where in Louisiana are you from hammer? I am originally from the Toledo Bend area.......

Amy, Good start on finding points. Any creek gravel bars are a good start. Points will wash onto gravel bars when the banks sluff off or erode. The camps are on the banks above the creeks but lots of points are on the gravel bars because of erosion. Since you Kayak, take 290 going into Austin and Kayak on Walnut Creek. Lots of Gravel bars to look on. Some of my earliest arrowhead hunting was on that creek. I've seen some amazing points from there. Fossils too. Always hit it hard after a big rain and go soon as the creek start receding.

Thanks, I will have to go check out the creek, it is by the preserve over the Springdale?

Flintpig
Amy, Good start on finding points. Any creek gravel bars are a good start. Points will wash onto gravel bars when the banks sluff off or erode. The camps are on the banks above the creeks but lots of points are on the gravel bars because of erosion. Since you Kayak, take 290 going into Austin and Kayak on Walnut Creek. Lots of Gravel bars to look on. Some of my earliest arrowhead hunting was on that creek. I've seen some amazing points from there. Fossils too. Always hit it hard after a big rain and go soon as the creek start receding.

It's past Manor right before you get into Austin. There is a sign showing Walnut Creek. It's best if you can have someone drop you off. Or you find a place to park and walk down to the creek. Beware of the Water Moccasins.

amyboone
Thanks, I will have to go check out the creek, it is by the preserve over the Springdale?

Flintpig

AHA...so it was YOU Flint ....Badger and I did our aprentiship on that section in our youth...
Great finds after every rain but we always suspected
somebody else was there before us.
My input on that creek Amy...lose the kayak, get some hip waders from Academy...Drop off where Flint told you...Walk downstream for pickup at OLD MANOR ROAD...
A "walking stick " ( flint flicker) is helpful for the elderly. Start the walk with an empty back pack..
That section was noted for those H U G E shells...
petrified wood, various teeth ( including shark )
All depends on what Flint missed

Your in for a neat surprise if you get out of the creek on the SE corner