Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Test hole questions.....

Ok, I have some test hole questions. The area where I used to fossil hunt is a limestone creek that runs off the San Gabriel river. So right above the creek is the horse pasture. Lots of chert in this area. I know arrowheads have been found in the past in the area, though not necessarily in the horse pasture but above it. I will try to get pictures of the creek and crossing and the pasture for reference. This area is what I call black clay dirt. If you are from around here you know what I am talking about.

Anyway, I decided to dig a test hole today above the creek and at the edge of the horses pasture. There is a big limestone flat area between the creek and the pasture. There are few "hills" in the pasture so I decided to dig a hole by a bush on kind of a hill. I found a bunch of little things. I knew the pieces that looked like bone were limestone (it is amazing the things limestone can look like :) ) I also found a couple of what look like peach or plum pits, a little snail, and some other things, about a foot or maybe a little more down. My hole is only like 1.5 ft by 1.5 ft at the moment, I will widen it and go a little deeper this weekend.

I washed everything, threw the limestone in the trash, and this is what I have left. What is really weird is that these are little pieces of chert. It is very flat looking. Is this because possibly it is burned? That is the only thing I can think of, it is not like chert I have ever seen. And then there is a little piece of what maybe is bone. And what about those fruit pit looking things? They would not have lasted that long would they? So how are they so deep and with this stuff? Sorry I did not take a picture of a quarter with the stuff, but the little gray rock is about the size of a quarter. All of this stuff is pretty small, nothing over the size of a quarter.

My hole

What I took out of the hole before I washed it

What looks like fruit pits

This is what I was thinking was maybe bone

No idea what this stuff is...

little snail

And the half of the pieces of chert that I broke open, it does not look all shiny like I am used to

rock

Re: Test hole questions.....

Cheeze Amy, what dedication
The whole San Gabriel ( N- S and main )and the smaller drainages that run into it was a big time ancient habitation local. "test holes" as the people have described in other postings are usually just to discover the size and layout of a site with really solid basic evidence.. Like loads of flint flakes and / or true fire rock.
Any drainages of any size are continually moving outward, look for camp evidence along the "lip line "
of a creek, hopefully it will have expanded INTO a camp and there would be a true "line " of clues.

Fast exploratory "test holes " can be done with a 3 pronged garden hand fork ( good quality )..Gloves and snippers for small roots.

Not to demean your above efforts but I think you have shown us what Texas looks like just below the grass line...nothing obviously worked by man

Hey, I am new at this and gotta learn somehow!

Here are two pictures I took yesterday evening looking down towards the creek. The limestone pretty much comes up to the edge of the horse pasture. You can see in the background the bluff of the opposite side of the creek. The ideal spot is probably on top of that bluff on the opposite side of the creek but that is private property. Where I am digging is private property too but I have permission to mess around on it, but that gives me a limited area to do stuff in.

This picture is looking down from where I dug my hole

This is looking down to the right from where I dug my hole, so today I will go check out that grassy area on the other side of the fence. I guess I can go try around those trees in the limestone, but snakes really worry me in that area lol

amyboone
Hey, I am new at this and gotta learn somehow!

No offence or even jest meant, really just trying to save you some labor that might be better used in other
directions.
We have seen MANY posters reporting access to a great property on a drainage and never a report of a camp
being found. Known camps are sometimes only a half mile apart so it's "hit or miss" One thing about your pics...That bare limestone could indicate a flash flood zone in days of old....the ancients were the first adherents to " turn around, dont drown "
" The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence " really applies here..That higher ground of the neighbor looks like an interesting try.

Even if you dont find a complete camp...A bad day looking sure beats a good day slaving over a hot stove

At least I am having fun and getting exercise in the meantime lol Plus this is an area I can mess around in by myself and feel safe.

I have another question, same creek, about half a mile down, I have a friend with property. She has part of her property on the higher ground but it is alot more rocky in that area. But up by her horse shelter in one area there is a lot of debitage. It is just in one area. Would it be worth are time to try to work that area? I would probably take a front end loader with all the rock though. It is just interesting that there is so much debitage in that one area.

amyboone
Would it be worth are time to try to work that area?

Absolutely. If you're wandering aimlessly (like I usually do), start simple by looking for the obvious thing like water, which you've found. Then location's relevance to water, which you have by finding the higher banked side. Then material, like debitage, for example. etc.
IMHO and my 2 cents worth from what I've learned from hangin out here.

I will probably take you up on that, but the only time I have available is in the evenings, my next few Saturdays I probably won't be available.