Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BEVERLY'S 4-21

Since I dont have a proper Kerrville knife, the "block of flint" is really my find of the day...The working face is as good as any KK's...The original owner just had a very poor taste in nodules

Photobucket

Just a half day at Bev's, all in one hole.( where the "lost point" came from )
Photobucket

Photobucket

These are those big ants that dont bite..Bev keeps em as food for the Toads

Photobucket

Cactii ( and bee ) season is here ..with a little Frio

Photobucket

This juvenile Toad wasn't going to hang around while I ran back for piece of flint for scale so I just selected that beautiful Limestone ( on the left )

Photobucket

I didn't have a G-11 to do credit to this regal eagle.

Photobucket

Bev sold all of her finds from years back, just throws the surface finds into a lamp table top

Photobucket

Re: BEVERLY'S 4-21

The little horny toad is neat. They were all over the place when I was a kid, but you rarely see them anymore.

WOW... THERE IS A GENUINE SCREW UP OF MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS..

Looking back on what I had posted ( after the 59 minute edit had expired )...I thought " now what angle is that at ? "....I'm sorry but thats ROLANDS dig in what is described as "this hole" in the above report

Here's a good pic from last visit...I spent the day here

Photobucket

The missing / dropped point has been tramped into the ground, never found.

SH do you see very many of those toads out your way? I was at a state park 2 or 3 years back and a wild life officer was telling very one that the Texas toad had died out. I had not seen one in about 15 years so I took him at his word. I would like any info I can get on the Texas toad. Thanks

O.C.Fisher lake and State Park in San Angelo has a horny toad refuge on it. you still see quite a few horny toads in that area.

Thanks for report, SH. Do you know if Bev/Junction area got any rain last night?

What I've seen down here in the brush country is that when the fire ants showed up they wiped out the red ants, primary food of the horny toad.
I've seen red ants crawling all over horny toads and it didn't even faze them. Fire ants, different story. They'd swarm all over the horny toads, who weren't immune to their poison like they were of the red ants. Both po****tions, red ant and horny toad, dwindled at the same time. Now the fire ants are on the decline and both the red ants and horny toads are making a comeback. It's nice to see the little critters back.

I didn't want to call it a Horny toad til you professions said it first. Bev saw this later and said it was a young one cause Mom & Dad get as big around as a baseball.
Their burrow entrances look a bit like Armadillo foragings..At Bev's, the burrows are right out on completely barren, grassless raw soil ( no attempt at comoflaging...AND there's resident Goats constantly on the move..
As far as me being a source of "Toad information "...I've never been much of a Toad person.
I only ever saw another one, just North of Amistad
about 5 yrs ago.
I never saw what their range is /was when they were doing well....I have never seen one within say 100 mile radius of Austin...

Enjoy

Photobucket

BudM...I talked to Roland Fri morn...said it rained like crazy at his house....I was on top of Motel 18
and when I said it poured there too...he said " What even up there ( He lives a mile and a quarter SE )
I dont know where the rain line stopped but not one single drop had fallen on Bev's place ( 15 Mi NE of Junction )

well if that aint just the cutest little feller i've seen in a long time. that is a great pic H. you can really tell thats a juvenile. love those little critters.

I've heard them called horned toads, horned lizards, and what we call them around here, horny toads. Used to be thick as fleas. They're making a comeback but it's slow. Their pop-u-lation (snuck it past censor check this time), grows and wanes over time. Seems during drought they do the best. Guess they don't like wet years.

Tehuacana
Their pop-u-lation (snuck it past censor check this time),

Now there is a snippet of information of high value....I have been AVOIDING using that word for fear it would appear to be a horrible ***** word...It's the best word to use when talking about a group of Indians ( Or Horned Toads )

pop-u-lation

pop-u-lation

pop-u-lation

. . .

It becomes a guessing game on some of the post trying to figure out what the words are supposed to be. If you k**w w**t I m**n.

TCU (Texas Christian University) mascot is the horned frog. They used to be very prevalent in north Texas

On the Texas Parks and Wildlife website, there is a lot of information on the Horned Lizards, and there are forms to fill out and mail in if you want to report sightings of Horned Lizards so that they can be tracked and monitored. Do not know if we can post website addresses here...

So far here at the ranch we got just enough rain to cut the dust and that was Thursday night. Some parts of Junction got more but it seems always to go arround us