Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
any ideas???

I was looking through some flint I found last year and took a second look at this and I am not sure what it is. Any guesses from anyone???? I dug it at a spot in Georgetown.

kind of cone shaped
Photobucket

top view
Photobucket

pecking or use wear around the base
Photobucket

view from what I call the bottom. It's pretty flat
Photobucket

maybe a core they turned into a hammer stone or something?

Re: any ideas???

my guess would be a hammer stone/pecking stone.very unusual tho.

That was my guess as well Pat. The cone shape of it is what peaked my curiosity.
I have a couple more stones to like the one SH found recently, (the big flint game stone or hammer stone), and I also have one that is flatter more like a discodial. I took pics of them to post and wouldn't you know it, I was fighting with the camera and deleted the darn things so maybe I will get some more pics and post them.
You just never know what you may find.

single platform core.

We call that a turtle-back scraper

I got a small one myself just yesterday

Photobucket

It's definitely going in my hammer stone bucket.
Whether a core or shaped, the non smooth distressed state of the impact area is very distinctive.

If you happen to have a Clovis or other Paleo point around with a ground base, under magnification the same shattering will be evident ( "ground base" stems are not sanded smooth but are delicately scraped, shattering the flint without creating a flake )

E, You may be personaly responsible for saving a true tool from the dump pile and into the display frames of
tool collectors..

Just a quick look at "core" flint might show that shattered hammer stone effect.

I just got another one at Floyds that just accidentally looks like yours with a slight conical design to it.

Photobucket

Larry has found 2 of these around the dig....Not quite conical but all are near round.

Nother one, from Chrisner's 6-3

Photobucket

fractured all the way round