Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Grooved Axe

One of the guys from Carrizo that works for the same government agency as Flicker found this on a ranch near Eldorado.

Re: Grooved Axe

Now that's sweet. I love the non-flint stuff alot. Wished I found more of it. Is it a Texas piece?

That is quite a find. That is the business end of everyday living. I have always wanted to find one. What age do you place on it Ken? Is this a Woodland artifact? I have very little knowledge of of the Axe family. Great Show !

Dusty found it up around San Angelo, between San Angelo and Eldorado. Don't have a clue on the age, that's something not found around my area. They're digging on a ranch and he said he'd found a Plainview base and a broken C-tang so far. Mixed bag of ages on the artifacts.

We are digging around the same place. Gives me hope of finding one as well. Thanks for the post and very cool.

that's sweet Ken. most of the grooved axes I've seen come from the midwest. that's pretty awesome that you can find one from time to time down here too.

any idea what type material/rock that beauty is made of?

I'll try and find out. I got a couple of emails from people in that area and they've been found there before and they call them maul's. Can't see how you could cut anything with it, looks more like something used to beat wood to pieces. Dang, all I ever find is Clear Forks as woodworking tools down here in the brush country.

Grooy

Shaped hardstone is one thing but the finish polish on most of these is always outstanding. Maybe there will be one or more to be seen ( and handled ) at the Luling show today.

Tehuacana
Can't see how you could cut anything with it, looks more like something used to beat wood to pieces.

They find them by the hundreds NE of Tx so they must have had a definite use for that much work....But as an Ax for " chopping " wood ??

Anyone that has "tried" to chop a piece of wood with a really dull steel ax wont be convinced !

Dusty said he thought it was granite. I know there's granite around Mason and Manard but I don't know how far west it extends.
That thing would make one mean war club.

well it sure looks smooth as granite, i quess alot of work went into making it, maybe that would have been used and displayed in the same way as a double barrell shotgun , hanging/close to the front door!!!

sandman
maybe that would have been used and displayed in the same way as a double barrell shotgun , hanging/close to the front door!!!

I like that suggestion better than a tree felling Ax

Couple yrs ago we debunked the term "rare" for Corner tangs...they were just under reported and some people had not found one yet..

Hardstone grooved Axes may not have been made by the central Tx people but 'visitors' and trade may have brought some axes to remote parts of TX...Temple show brings out 'dealers' from all over Tx, look for more example there.

Dealer Rob, at the Luling show had these on display.. all from 'East TX' except the celt which is Arkansas.

Photobucket

Top workmanship on this one but not much of a 'cutting' edge.

Photobucket

This one from West TX, business end broken

Photobucket

Anybody find a skull with a piece of polished hardstone in it

that musta been 1 hard skull!!!