Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Has anyone had in luck around Del Rio?

I might have a chance to check out a property
around Dryden. The owner doesn't hunt for arrowheads
but found a couple. There is a dry creek on the
property. I just wondered if that area is typically
very good ( west of DelRio) before I drive all
the way out there

Re: Has anyone had in luck around Del Rio?

It depends on if the owner has had alotta Deer hunters & others on the place, as they often pick up arrowheads if they are hunting areas out that way. I have hunted some on properties to the West of Dryden in Terrell county with limited success, points can be found, but your gonna have to work at finding them, meaning ALOT of walking. The quality out there is almost never as good as the quality in the TX Hill country, though decent points do show up sometimes. Not trying to dissuade you, just telling you how it is there. It may or may not be great, but if the owner says your welcome to try, I would give it a try...Goodluck, John

Just to add to J.F's advice,, If you have the chance to get on a private property in a remote area... DO IT.

I've only been lucky enough to get on a small area just north of Amistad Lake ( Box canyon )..wasted most of a day down in the big wash thinking that was shadier and possibly had water access. NOT A FLAKE of flint. Either they were very leery of flash floods OR the massive flash floods that DO occur there blasted anything ( and everything ) down the Rio Grand heading for the Gulf..
I DID find 3 locations on the top next to the cut with thousands of flint flakes and a few scant worked
pieces.

I am MORE negative than John though...Lease hunters are always avid lookers ...BUT there were railroad people through that part of the country since before the civil war. Oil and mineral prospectors...AND those Devils River and Pecos archeological sites are so rich and important, I think the original archeologists lined their students up in a long line side by side and walked from Del Rio to El Paso looking for outlying sites of interest. The ranchers ( and or their friends ) themselves have been on all that land from day one.

Dont let that slow you,,GO

Does it cost to look or just for gas?
Water has been changing out there for past 10000 years.
Always worth a look. If no luck, go geaux swimming at Amistad

I would have to give the owner something
I don't think it would be a whole lot in addition
to gas. He did tell me he found some old
traps in the dry creek ,so I'm thinking it was
at least a decent water source not too long ago
it is 180 acres that the owner bought 15 years
ago, he hunts it but doesn't lease it