Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Frio Co. Bird Points Part 2

Some more finds from the ranches and peanut fields in Frio County. On most of them I can ID, there's a couple that defy any classification. The two unstemmed ones on the second row-right side were made that way, they're not Perdiz points minus the base Also the pin point on the fifth row.

Nice show, did i miss part one?

You've never shared that frame with me, i love them birds! Especially that wild one, second up from bottom, second row on right.

Re: Nice show, did i miss part one?

rgs
You've never shared that frame with me, i love them birds! Especially that wild one, second up from bottom, second row on right.

good call, I didnt see that the first time around.
Really nice and colorfull frame T.

Nice flint!

I found a token notched Perdiz that I posted some time back, some call it a hafting notch. The Perdiz had a single notch so I can't see how it was used for hafting. It would look like it'd make the point unbalanced. Now this one I can see it being used as an aid in attaching to an arrow shaft.
Still have a few more frames that I never posted. Just wanting to get them out of the old cheap shadow box frames and into good ones.

Thats a great selection. Plus all the reddish tones really show up strong on white ( rather than your favorite red )

Here's a coincidence, your point upper L of the pin point, look at the similarity of shape and Material of the one I took a pic of at the luling show. Go back to "LULING SITE " 3RD PIC DOWN.

Can you see daylight though the white parts of yours ???

Sure can. I've found pieces of that color flint before but it's rare. Just like finding points out of rootbeer or black flint. Most of these are the average brush country color but I've found the translucents before, that and green and red also.

Very nice Ken. Is that a token Edwards with the side notches???

Not sure what'd you'd call it, either a token notched or hafting notched. Seems to be some controversy on it. If it were my decision, I'd call this one a hafting notched Edwards.
Those are the only two that I've ever found with the extra notches. Odd that it'd be on a bird point and not on a larger point.

Tehuacana
Sure can. I've found pieces of that color flint before but it's rare. Most of these are the average brush country color but I've found the translucents before, that and green and red also.

Interesting observation. The point I was refering to at the show was in the very high dollar frame and right next to a pure white translucent ( probably that milky quartz material. )
Nother factor occurs to me looking at that frame, Bird pts are fairly young and would have been from a period when the Pop u lations were at their highest.
All are from your hunting area is S. TX....look how many different tribes are represented !
Rush hours might have been near as bad as today

Ah, I was thinking you were talking about another one. That one you're refering to has some inclusions in it, I don't think it's quartz like the one you'd posted from the show. It must have been pretty crowded all over, a lot of warfare going on. I already know they didn't like their northern cousins from the hill country.