Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ideas for making a small screen?

With the possibilty of having the opportunity to dig with Flintpig at his place and him stating that one would need to bring a screen has me searching for ways to make one. I have done a thread search on this site and only came up with shaker screens. Google search gave up a little info but I would like to hear from the guys/gals that have made them. Any suggestions for an easy screen with collapsible legs for easy storage?

I was thinking probably 3'X3' with 1/4 inch mesh, and using PVC pipe on the four corners for legs (have a hole drilled in them with a rod through it and insert into a larger section of PVC that is attached to the screen- the larger section would rest on the rod)...

Any tips and wisdom would be appreciated

Re: Ideas for making a small screen?

i have used folding saw horses for legs, build screen box to fit saw horses. works pretty good breaks down and sets up fast. the screen box sets on top of saw horses.

Thanks for the advice sandman. Definately an easy way to set up quickly. Only problem I may have with this is room in my garage for 2 saw horses, this is why I was thinking about using PVC. Great idea though, might give it a whirl. Thanks

B, good thinking ,plan ahead. For this show I suggest you first go back and review Flints recent past finds
postings...Looks to me like 99% of the finds are Non Bird pt size... 1/4 mesh would be a deterent to moving a lot of material

Suggestion #2, whatever framing you decide to use, make it more like 3' by 5'...the idea is not to have to 'jiggle'any screen at all, just prop one end of the long screen way up and shovel dirt onto the top,
Let gravity do the work.

Suggestion #3, pretty radical but I'ts what I will be using.
Home depot sells a plastic green mesh with about a ONE INCH opening. Sold in rolls about 48" X 10 to 20 feet. I lay an 8 foot piece over a equal size tarp.
Lifting and 'rocking' the mesh makes a quick sorting,
Naturally I always hands & knees riffle through the
now classified material on the tarp just in case a
1/2 inch X 7 inches long drill might have slipped through.

For your project #2, if you go with a 1 inch metal mesh and dont like it...You can always lay a 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch piece on top of it.

Closeup of the green fence mesh..

Photobucket

Here's the generic " in use " pic from a few yrs ago.
'Black frame ' is a 1/4 inch mesh, kneel down to use screen.

Photobucket

It's a wide open field...surprise us with a new configuration that future generations will use..
The ' Brioscreen Mark II ' has a nice ring to it

I was hoping you would reply Hal, and I am glad you did. Thats a great idea about using the tarp. Definately a lot easier, more convenient, and easier to store than building a screen table. I might end up going this route just for time sake, that way I can not rush into building something that I am gonna wish I had done differently.

Also, great thinking on point size and mesh diameter. I am a newbie at digging and enjoy all the wisdom from the vets. Thanks

If you make the frame out of wood go to a lumber yard and buy you 4 either 3/4 or1in. Pipe caps drill a hole in the bottom of them 1/4 in. Diameter and buy 4 quarter in.x1 in. Lag bolts and screw them to the four corners of your frame threads facing down toward the ground and then buy two pieces of aluminum conduit the same size as your pipe caps cut them to length you want and screw the threaded ends into the pipe caps and then you have removable legs for easy storage!!!

Hal, thats a great idea using the plastic mesh. Simple and easy to use. (7 inch long drill !!! Your dreaming again.) I looked around home depot today and found some plastic mesh with half inch holes. do you think this would work as well as one inch.. Im thinking about putting a couple of one by two wooden strips on each end for added strength while rocking the mesh.. Jayradd, I also like your idea for a framed box. Where can I find aluminum pipe with threads. are your caps also aluminum?

Any type of threaded cap should work and the aluminum pipe should be in the electrical section

Nice suggestion Jayradd, thanks

Gilbert
Hal, (7 inch long drill !!! Your dreaming again.) I looked around home depot today and found some plastic mesh with half inch holes.

Re hole size plastic mesh, I only have experience with the 1 inch and for the style of screen sorting I am very happy with it...As the body gets a bit weary after 4 or 5 hours, one could wish that the holes were 6 inches across...Getting the soil through gets tedious
( even on a shaker screen. )...Take a chance maybe, I got the one inch, we'll see how that rates against the smaller...ALSO bear in mind that this is a limited offer of a very sandy site...the rest of your screen work might be in the hill country so the 1/2 inch would be better.

Re the leg Idea, aluminum or electrical conduit is certainly lightweight. Do they still make the pipe flanges that fit most galvanized water pipe ??

That Pat is going to be the King of the screeners with those lightweight, grated frames he found....
different sized mesh for all occasions ..... corner tangs,Manos, Change sorters ( nicks, dimes & qtrs. )

Here's mine, using a bread crate (bigger than a soda crate)...

Good idea, lightweight & interchangeable screen possibilities.

would you be open to a couple of suggestions that might be tried on that model.?

It's your project, I wouldn't say anything without your okay

I'm always open to suggestions...Fire away!!!

Tony (aka The Bud Man)
...Fire away!!!

Do you want a last cigarette and blindfold ?

If you can find another bread tray ( so as not to ruin the present one )...you might cut out some of the plastic
cross hatchings in the bottom, still plenty of strength there and gives more room for soil to go through,

part 2...cut off one side of the upright sides. Planning for long hours of screening, undesirable things like twigs and stones can be 'swept ' off the screen without the need for actually picking them up and out.

Look very close at the black frame intop pic of mine,the one side is bolted UNDERNEATH the screen for that 'sweeping' effect...works good for me.

FIRE

Photobucket

Photobucket

Looks like a raft frame?

Good idea M, Good workmanship too.

If thats Idahoe's professional opinion I'm never going rafting with him ......Maybe screen mesh bottoms is what they use on the tranquil Snake R in Idaho but it will never float the TX Guadalupe