Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Great read on tree markers

This came from a newspaper from back home.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2011/jun/02/designation-in-hands-of-indian-nation-leaders/

Re: Great read on tree markers

Pretty cool read Travis - Thanks!

;'Various Native American tribes took years to bend marker trees, which were typically used to notify and point to low water crossings, campsites, rock paint quarries, hunting trails, graves, freshwater streams and prayer sites, among many other things"""

-Michelle

This is awesome!.... i actually have a oak that's layed down like that.... its about as long as a park bench laid over~... i'll have to get a picture of it... ..it sites between the only 3 large live oak in our campsite..and this is where all our points are found!!!

man.. exciting.. i'll be out snapping pics and lookin for the sings..

chris

I have always been skeptical when it came to "Indian Marker Trees". The ones I looked at in the Texas coastal areas over the years had probably been bent over by storms and in most cases weren't old enough for Indian association. I found it strange that there was no mention in the newspaper article of the species of the subject tree nor an estimate of its age. The tree in the photos appears to be a species of Ash, Fraxinus sp. Ash trees do live for as long as 250 years. Its fun idea that there might be surviving "Indian Marker Trees". Realistically it would be quite impossible to prove from a scientific perspective any Indian association several hundred years ago with a particular tree.

Interesting article..
I lean towards Reds' evaluation,,,a bent tree even a few hundred yrs old would be redundant..They had proper
road signs going up by that time

wasn't there one at the church? maybe a little flooding help that one.