Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gun Flint and Token Notched Perdiz

I've posted these before but took them, the notched Edwards, and a couple of other finds to Hondo where David Calame and Dr. Hester put the final touch to verification on what they are. I've had them ID'd at artifact shows and now it's an official identification. Did find out that the gun flint was Indian made and not by explorer's of the new world. Difference in shape was the kicker. Both came from the same site in southeastern LaSalle county.

Re: Gun Flint and Token Notched Perdiz

Nice! Thanks for reposting.

I found two out there, the other one is bigger but I didn't take it to Hondo. They put that on as part of an arch. dig they're doing there and also for collectors to bring in any unusual,rare, or un-identifiable points. There were about 5 archaeologist there. Most of the other frames and boxes of points that we saw were just common finds but it was way too crowded so we left early. That and 103 in the shade at 7:30.
They may do another one in August so when David Calame calls I'll post the date, time , and location.

Tehuacana
That and 103 in the shade at 7:30.
They may do another one in August so when David Calame calls I'll post the date,

Oh Yeah, August will be a lot better

Were they able to determine if the Indian made gun flint was for his own weapon,,,or he was cranking them out for trade to the colonists ??

So what IS the bottom line for the side notched....??
An excentric ? accidental slip of the knapper ? Signature ( so he could find his own in a bucket of other Perdiz ? )
OR ...a completely brand NEW type that will have it's own page in the next issue of Ovrsts ?
The PERUACANAZ sounds formidable !

That was never answered in full. The Edwards was hafted notched, the Perdiz, his best guess was an eccentric. I showed it to Perino back in the late 80's and he labled it token notched. Hester, via email called it a hafting notch but after seeing it in person at Hondo and he and Calame said it was an intentional notch but not for hafting. I agree that it's not for hafting, it would un-balance the point if just on one side.
On the gun flint, I found two plus the Perdiz at the same time and locale. The only thing I could think of was that was north of the old Fort Ewel site on the Nueces River in deep LaSalle county. A possible transition for bow and arrow to black powder rifle? Mabbe the last arrowpoint made by the Indians before switching to guns?

Have been going to post my gun flint I found while surface hunting at Chrisners finally got good pics. Looks lot like yours am told buy several people in the gun business that when a indian broke the flint in his flint lock he would knap one out since that was his way of life and they are Rare I am told.

Photobucket

Good one. There was such a proven heavy consentration of ancient peoples in the C3 area there must be more
gun flints to be found as they transitioned from bow & arrow to guns.
Maybe people have already found some and dont realise what they are.

I just wonder how many more are in people's collections or junk point buckets and they think they're just worn out thumb scrapers. You don't see much in any of the books about them so it's hard to get any reference points to verify that they are true gun flints. A true good find.

One of the dealers at the FredB show had a couple of side notched on display

Photobucket

He said they were from S TX.

I like them Charcos points, one day we're gonna get out there in the area they come from and find one.

Tehuacana
I like them Charcos points,

That was precisely the name the dealer said

Tehuacana
I just wonder how many more are in people's collections or junk point buckets

Scratch me off the possibles list, just snapped square basers in my bucket.
But I'll be looking closer at future finds.

Photobucket

My reward for looking for a gun flint was finding a Hell Gap base that now goes into the Paleo bucket

You're getting close though Hal.