Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
NEW DIG SITE EVALUATED

Unless you are personally part of the exploration team at the 'Gault site' just recently, then you probably have no idea of the latest finds.

Doctor Clark Warneke hosted a special tour for the G.I.R. members day after the Temple show ( June 4th )
Got started at the parking lot pavilion.

Photobucket

We know all Doctors are rich and Dr Clark did not dissapoint as he pulled up in this slick GAULT CART

Photobucket

First order of understanding is a history of the property in the hands of modern owners. This is a
railroad car, a track crew living quarters, that was parked here in 1917 to be used as a Ranch building.

Photobucket

An Atalatl demo was excellent....the point was " to hell with stabbing a raging Mammoth in the tail...
back off about 200 feet and do the job ."

Photobucket

The true habitation of the area was in a long low dell that was heavily wooded, cool and the home of a
natural spring. Here the Doc leads his merry tribe down the trail

Photobucket

The tribe snaked all the way back to the top of the hill

Photobucket

There are rock outcrops along both sides of the general camps (plural) area. This rock face had a
scribed picture of a CHURCH. Interpretation was ..
either " this is a good place to get free food and gifts
OR
"stay AWAY from this place at all costs "

Photobucket

Some key points of interest are marked with descriptive markers depicting the scientific excavations AND a Mammoth butchering site where a Clovis point was found along with the Mammoth lower
mandible.

Photobucket

The next to last point of interest is "THE" excavation currently being worked. The details being
exposed are almost a physical experience...Right there in front of us is the location of the largest
consentration of Clovis age artifacts west of the Mississippi River AND 65% of ALL the Clovis age material in North America,,solid confirmation at 13,500 yrs old

Photobucket

Now the kicker....
In the one single, deepest square ( with the two white PVC drainage pipes protruding )...

A very fortunate 'test' exploration BELOW the Clovis level went slam into a more ancient fire pit...
The first dated charcoal easily came back with a habitation date of 16,000 + Yrs... Plus 2 new, unusually flaked pattern points. The culture BEFORE Clovis is pretty much non existant and so without a name...Dr Clark would like to have it named the CLARK CULTURE but may have to bend to just the FLORENCE CULTURE.

We are standing right over the OLDEST PROVEN HABITATION IN BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICA....right here in Central Texas

Photobucket

The opening topic description of "NEW DIG SITE EVALUATED " is correct in that the sixteen thousand plus level is brand new...

For those few of us who follow these things...the obvious question now to be analized is....
" WHO WERE THESE REALLY ANCIENT PEOPLE ??? WHERE DID THEY STEM FROM ??? AND HOW DID THEY GET TO THE VERY HEART OF TEXAS.???

The point of interst last stop on the tour was the gift shop

Re: NEW DIG SITE EVALUATED

Where can you see pics of the points or the points them selves.

WOW!! How exciting is that.I wonder what went on in those 2500 years between the clovis people and the florence people?neet stuff.

That is wild Hal ! If they were there 16000 years back, then I bet they were in other ares nearby as well Wasn't the Leanderthawl Lady found at the 1431 bridge excavation 13000 years plus ? She was found about 15 years ago just ouside of Cedar Park I believe. Thanks for Sharing that Hal... I ran into you again at the Temple show. You were on your way to CCC. Take Care.

Well that is amazing, hopefully they will release some photos. Are the tours of the site open to the public?

Ahh, some inquireing minds

Jay, the latest finds are probably too recent for proper papers to be tendered. I have no specific source info, must be something out there, try Google.

Paul, The missing link tween Clovis and Florence is indeed HUGE.. consider all the cultural changes that
has occured in N America since Columbus hit town and thats ONLY 500 yrs, so what were they doing in 2500 ?

I'm thinking that older and smaller pop u lations DO exist under camps that have produced early Archaic and older artifacts that are near proven ancient springs or waterways..thing is the most ancient camp may be only
ten foot square .... and ten foot UNDER other debris. So exactly where to dig ?

Kris, I remember you. That Leanderthal lady is correct, just good evidence of how many paleo people
were in Texas.
I checked with a high ranking Real Estate agent in the Austin area..Your stated price for that property with the midden camp on it is just right in line with ' normal ' land prices in the area. The Austin MegaPlex is a BOOM economy.. If the owner or sharp real estate agent wises up to the value of a property with an Indian camp on it , that quoted price will
REALLY skyrocket.

Sandy,..Definitely open to public tours. Dr Clark mentioned the number of school trips was escalating. Sorry but I dont have the exact contact
info right now, I'll look into it if nobody else finds it before me.

Hey Hal,
I closed on that Land on Monday with the camp. So I am the proud owner of a Early to mid Archaic camp in Williamson County. Those stones in my last post come out of there. We just put in a couple of trenches on the mound edges. When I say Tractor and Mound in the same sentence I feel like a kid walkin into a candy store. We got a few things to do yet.. but We will be allowing friendly diggers who arn't afraid to donate out for hand digs in comming weeks. I'll post a new topic soon.
Great story on the pre-Paleo in the area, feels funny saying that too.
Talk to ya soon.

Where exactly is the Gault site? Does anyone know the GPS coordinates? I would love to see the aerial views online.

Ginny
Where exactly is the Gault site? Does anyone know the GPS coordinates? I would love to see the aerial views online.

No GPS ...just going from a map,,, Just north of Florence TX. Adress is 3439 FM 2843 ( west side of 2843
just inches south of Bell county line )

When viewing the aerials, note that there are SIX quarries right on the East side of 2843. They are mining top quality hard, building grade Georgetown limestone.
The geology changes literally right under the road to the Edwards Limestone which is very pourus and the reason the Gault springs occur. ( no good for commercial building stone )

Googling " GAULT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE " has a world of pics on many websites & links.

Hey Hal,

I lost your E-mail Address. If you send it to me, I will let ya come out and evaluate our new site. If your still interested. Send me a note at lane1539@att.net
Talk to ya soon. Kris

Thanks for the information. I am surprised it is not right next to a river, or it does not look like it is, at least not from what I could see on bing maps. I am guessing there was a lot more water around thousands of years ago.

Ginny
Thanks for the information. I am surprised it is not right next to a river, or it does not look like it is, at least not from what I could see on bing maps. I am guessing there was a lot more water around thousands of years ago.

G, As I remember the site explanations, the camp site selection was about as close to paradise as PRE Clovis and subsequent people could have found...

due to the boundary of the solid Georgetown Limestone to the Edwards limestone,,any rain water would not penetrate the GTwn and 'runoff' into the spongelike Edwards. The spring was year round with a moderatly stable flow rate ( as opposed to MASSIVE ' flash flood events ' in many other TX drainages. )

Lots of natural vegitation and fire wood available almost yr round. ( consider the growth around other springs in the dead of winter, the water is 60 to 70* )

Rather than ranging far and wide ' hunting '..game came right to their valley to drink and feed. ( witness that Mammoth butchering site they found right in the backyard of their camp area )

If you ( or anyone ) makes the tour...it's 2 1/2 hours of nonstop ancient civilisation info.

paul
WOW!! I wonder what went on in those 2500 years between the clovis people and the florence people?neet stuff.

As good luck would have it, In this area, there is a sterile layer seperating the Clovis from Florence 8 to 12 inches thick so there is no intermixing of cultures.
Under the walkway Dr Clark is standing on can be seen the characteristic black fire rock midden layer of the Archaic time. Just seeing a cross section of 16 thousand years of history is impressive.

Photobucket

The scholastic focus is intensely on Paleo and older so just in passing they mention that the extent of the fire rock midden is the largest in North America ,,,,,800 X 100 feet.

The old needle in the haystack. I just wonder how many more pre-Clovis sites there are that have never been discovered?
Most interesting data there, with more info to come as the site is explored even more.

Tehuacana
The old needle in the haystack. I just wonder how many more pre-Clovis sites there are that have never been discovered?

How bout this for "I wonder" ?....
Absolutely good luck that they found a significant Florence "camp" in that incredibly narrow excavation...The original find was less than a meter square.

Later people found the area at least 800 X 100 feet in size suitable for a " camp",,,, How much more Clovis & Florence evidence might be right there in that field ??
Try to compare the before & after pics,,thats almost 1 1/2 years of work..!

Job security

Kinda sounds like the spring/valley on Bear Creek in Hays Co....best looking area I've ever seen and have dug..AMAZING

When we went on the tour, I am thinking they said, more info toward the end of the year. It is defintely will be very exciting to see that earliest weapons shape and size!!

If they release pics?????

sandman
When we went on the tour, I am thinking they said, more info toward the end of the year. It is defintely will be very exciting to see that earliest weapons shape and size!!

If they release pics?????

Go over to arrowheadology and search sloth slayer....

I have seen those, time will tell!!