Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Some recent Texas blades

These blades came from three sites in Austin, Colorado and Fayette Counties, Texas. The blade in the middle is a little over 5 inches long and thin as a wafer. Its on the long and thin side for a Gary but thats what it appears to be. Photobucket

Re: Some recent Texas blades

Super nice blades Redman. I like them all. Keep them coming. Never enough flint pics..

Nice show!

All of these blades are made of Cummin's Creek Chert. Cummin's Creek headwaters around Round Top in Washington County and contributes to the Colorado River near Columbus in Colorado County. The blades from left to right are: Darl Blade, Darl , Gary, Angostura ( note: what appears to be a ding on the base of this blade is actually a remaining piece of cortex ) and a Plainview. There are several sites along the creek where early folks mined chert and made preforms.................millions of chips, pressure flakes, an occasional preform but no finished pieces. I found it interesting that all three sites where these blades were found were located near springs but were abandoned about 1800 years ago. The abandonment of these sites coincided with a drought in Texas and the Southwest that lasted for one thousand years.

Very nice. These counties do produce some nice artifacts. They are few and far between from my experience. From the quality of your artifacts, can I assume that you are digging these? Does your camp produce a lot of commons too? I move a lot of dirt to find a nice blade. Good show!!

There's THAT word again ... " FAYETTE " ...We've seen a lot of beautiful points from that Co. as per FlintP's
postings this past year also.

I like that observation on the spring drying up. WX and water had a definite bearing on consentrations of
people.. just have to do some research and figure it out.

Good thing you pointed out the terrible ding in that gorgeous Ango, we almost thought it was a G-11

In nine years of digging I have found thirty or so ( Depends on who's counting ) different blade and projectile points on these three sites in addition to the blade types in the photo. Pieces found on these sites range from crude to the point of barely functional to G10. The most common projectile points found are Pedernales, Bulverde, Nolan, Lange, and Marcos. No true arrowheads of any type have been found on these three sites........to me, thats a real good indication that there was no one living there during the bow and arrow developmental period.

great show Redman. I love them all

Very nice Redman! Your center artifact looks way too nice to be a Gary. In the picture, I can't see any stem taper or edgework, but I would still be more inclined to call it Bulverde related.

Thanks for the picture

jhaberer

JHaberer, good observation. Turner and Hester characterize a Bulverde as having a thin finely chipped base that is wedge-shaped in cross-section. I re-examined the piece and the base does in fact have those characteristics. They also describe the Gary as usually being relatively crude and thick; this piece is neither. The two cultures do overlap both in time and geography. That short contracting stem is really too small for a Bulverde of that size. Its not the first blade I've seen over the years that had the characteristics of two cultures.