Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trespass rules

What is the law on ownership of creeks/rivers passing thru private land? In other words, can anybody walk creeks/rivers, as long as you stay in the creek bed without crossing fences, is this considered trespassing?

Re: Trespass rules

Rob. Creeks are usually private property and walking the bed would require the owners permission. Rivers are different; you can walk or float the river but the bank may be private property. If there is any question always get permission no matter what, then you have no worries. Each state has its own set of rules so check the antiquities laws before you go. Good luck !

Thanks for the info, I pass several nice looking creeks going to my camp house and have been wanting to stop and do a quick search, I'll look for any houses close by and try to get approval, disgruntled property owners can sometimes be real mean!!!!

I called Texas Parks & Wildlife a couple of years and asked them that question.
They told me that the river had to be 30' wide and navigatable with a boat, with a motor, other wise it was trespassing.

Just a little more info on the subject, in Texas the "first bank" on each side of the river is state land, therefore can walk on first couple feet of the bank of the river and not be trespassing. That came from a Texas county sheriff. Now some land owners probably don't see it that way. But as far as I know that is the law.