Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Liberty Hill 5 1/2" Blade and a Dream Drill

Good Week on the Hill. I pulled the drill out yesterday at noon after cleaning up a bit. I have never seen one like it... Have any of y'all got an idea on what it is ? The 5 1/2 inch knife blade came out last wednesday One of the regular guy's, Kelly, pulled it out. Still lookin for his brother. The rest are cleaned up points from last week or first time seen here. All found in Liberty Hill. Enjoy the Photos. Kris
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Liberty Hill 5 1/2" Blade and a Dream Drill

nice looking flint. What would you call the blade?

Hey Eric, The Blade was probably hand held in antler or bone. It could have been used at the end of a thrusting spear. Not sure on the make and model. Made by the sweet people I imagine. Thanks Kris

WOW great finds.
My guess is a Castroville drill. Any unbroken drill is a special find, that base had a really good hand hold.
No guess on the blade type but the way the base area is modified seems to suggest the hafting you describe.

I would call the top piece in the 5th pic down a unique item....the sharp angle on the non pointy end is too
severe for a drill and the size is wrong for a barb..
so it's a _ _ _ _ _

I think We got our second whole Martindal out of the camp yesterday. Third Pict up from bottom still dirty on a rock on the right. Very distictive butt. If not Martin ??? I've got no other guesses. What do Y'all think ?

I would have to agree on martindale and man I sure like that point in pic second up from the bottom. Next to kennedy but all together nice finds.

Thanks Jayradd, We are still not agreed on the type of that one either. We are open to suggestions. Everyone who has seen it in person calls it the same thing... Sweet point ! We would love to see another just like it come out this week. Happy hunting

The knife in your pics looks to be a CIBOLO early-late archaic, 7500 - 3500 B.P. "Description: A medium to large size knife form, having a very short, square stem. Shoulders are slight to tapered and most examples have recurved blade edges. Points exibit random percussion flaking, with edge pressure flaking and most examples are high quality. Named by Sam Williams in 2008." Look on page 576 in the 11th edition of Overstreet ID and price guide.
hope it helps
Ben O. Hodges

Thanks Ben. I think your right on with the Cibolo. I looked at the book and that's the best match yet. I'm gonna try and find his brother this week.