Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
unknown ax ? from Gaines County

this was found in the eastern part of Gaines Co....still looking it up but any suggestions would be appreciated
Photobucket
Photobucket

just le tme know what type you think it might be........thanks

Re: unknown ax ? from Gaines County

Not much help from me. Axes are not common to most of Tx, those we have seen posted from Tx were thought to be traded to the site.
The second smaller groove seems rather unique. We presume the grooves on yours goes all the way around ( Many Ax types are flat on one side. There's bound to be an Ax expert out there somewhere ( on Google ? )

It's a beauty

thanks Sh...yes the grove goes all the way around the pics are of both sides

The photos are of the same side of the piece. Gaines County is way out of the loop for such artifacts. To my knowledge two grooved axes are nonexistent. The folks who made such axes were very practical and that puts the second groove in question, sort of like a corner tang with two tangs ( although two tang corner tangs do exist ). The vague provenance is also questionable. Found by whom in Gaines County, when and under what circumstances ? Did someone give you the piece ? Did you buy it ? The edges of the groove are quite sharp for an authentic piece.

this was a friend of ours and it was found in an area where he still hunts he has a rather nice collection already and the pics are of both sides..i myslef thought how it was made with such precission for both sides...i'm not certain if this was a surface find or not but will check and repost i believe the item to be already "skinned" instead of just having patina to iti have some rocks that have a similar skin to them where they are completely covered
not certain why 2 notches but i also thought it was uniqu the edges are very rounded sorry i didnt take photos of same but i will get it back and do so
will repost assoon as i can just thought this was such an unusual piece and wanted to share it may see if i can take it to hte muesum in Hobbs and let them look at it also I told our friend he needs to have it evaluated so will let you know if does.
like i said just wanted to share this one

Sandy, very nice axe. I believe like SH that it may have been traded to the site...There is another site that I go to for good ID's, but since Michelle frowns on giving out other websites, shoot me an e-mail and I will give it to you, they have experts from all over the states....

thanks Larry, I tried to send thru this site and I guess since I dont use Outlook Express email it didnt go through. I know a lot or most of the points and items found in Gaines Co. were brouhgt in from the Indians passing thru..I also know that when Quannah Parker was here he had a meeting of several different tribes and therefore it would explain why perhaps so many different types have been found here. I just like to post what we and others find because i think they are intersting and I think others would like to see them.

Sandy like the axe makes me wish I was lucky enough to be the proud owner of it. Looks to be a rare find congrats.
Double grooved axes do exist, but are rare. Searched on yahoo for double grooved axe and got 105,000 hits did not look far as the first site had one that was papered by Mr. Dickey. So it looks like they are rare as hens teeth but do exist.