Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
victoria tx

anyone knows a good place to hunt arrowheads in victoria tx???

Re: victoria tx

Still lookin' for a free lunch ? Good luck with that.

ok thanks!!!!!!!!

Sorry man don't have any places around that area. If I did I would take you out and dig with you. It is important to keep people in our hobby working together to help each other to some extent. I would not give you free run of my places. But I would give you a lift in the start.

Travis 2 you are definately a kind person and I agree with your thoughts. Easttx I will be in Livingston this next week for school but if you find something and livingston is close email me. Don't give up!!! No matter what ANYONE says.

What I said sounded kinda mean and crass and it was meant to sound that way. He asked the same question about the Victoria area on this site about two months ago. I gave him some good advise and suggestions then.....but all the advise I gave him involved some research, leg work, time and effort on his part. Asking where to hunt arrowheads around Victoria is like standing across the street from the UT Campus in Austin on Saturday night and asking, " Where can I find a girl friend ?"

I have heard of a spot below Coleto Creek Dam, but I don't know the exact location. I have looked at that area on maps and I don't even know how to access that area other than a long hike in. Supossedly that spot is know by locals. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but that is all I know about it. If you find it let me know and maybe I will tag along with you. My parents' place is only about 45 min. away from there and I would make the trip down.

Texas Stream Law has always been a huge mess and always will be as long as Texas governors spend their time organizing prayer meetings.........but moving right along, the mess can actually be to an artifact collector's advantage. Under a Texas Law dating to 1837, a stream is navigable so far as it retains an average width of 30' from its mouth up. A stream satisfying the 30' rule is sometimes referred to as "Statutorily Navigable". Under a court decision the public has rights along such streams so long as they stay within the confines of the stream bed.
Coleto Creek falls under this definition of "Statutorily Navigable".
Now then, if you want to walk the bed of Coleto Creek ( See Google Map) below the lake and hunt for artifacts it would be a good idea to carry a light spinning rod with a white spinner bait and a lot of drinking water. If you are actually confronted by an individual of authority, which is highly unlikely, simply plead ignorance, apologize and move away from the confrontation. The chances of you being filed on are slim since the person of authority probably doesn't know the law either and has better things to do, which is what he was doing when he ran into you. Never, ever, ever quote the law in the field. Pretending to be deaf and dumb tends to confuse folks and has worked for me in the past. Never ever walk such creeks during deer season.

The only place I ever found arrowheads at night was in that three county Victoria area. My Dad dropped a friend and I off just after dark one night back in the summer of 1956. We waded the shallow waters of San Antonio Bay all night along the Blackjack Peninsula with Coleman lanterns and flounder gigs. There was a stretch of about 200 yards long where we found more arrowheads than flounder. The water was clear and calm and those points almost flowed in the light of the lanterns. Dad picked us up at first light. We only had a couple of flounder each......................."You boys didn't do too good", he said. "Yeah we did, lookie here what I got in my pocket"! My Dad and my friend are both gone ( my friend died in Viet Nam ) but the memory of that night is still there and its still strong.

Redman sounds like a match made in heaven, fishing and arrowheads at the same time! My respect goes out to your father. I have a lot of respect for veterans and for ones who gave their life for us. Your knowledge of the area and laws is right on. I played the same cards walking dry lake beds around Texas when confronted by authorities. Pleading ignorance gets you a lot further than being a know it all.

redman
one night back in the summer of 1956. We waded the shallow waters of San Antonio Bay all night along the Blackjack Peninsula with Coleman lanterns and flounder gigs.

WOW ....Thats over a half a century ago...You were just a young squirt to hold up all night slogging along....and Texas was a whole nother place.
Good story