Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is this Paleo?

Hello, I'm relatively new to this addiction and have only posted on here once before. I need some help identifying a couple of points I found yesterday while creek walking. The first point looks like it might be a paleo of some sort. Can someone help me with ID?

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is translucent....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Re: Is this Paleo?

HEY MIKE D
GLAD YOUR ON THE FORUM. OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD I WOULD SAY NO. THE REASON IS BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE ANY TYPE OF GRINDING ON THE BASE OF THE PIECE AND THE FLAKING LOOKS LIKE RANDON FLAKING AS OPPOSED TO PARALLEL FLAKING. OF COURSE, PARALLEL FLAKING AND GRINDING ARE NOT ALWAYS APART OF EVERY PALEO PIECE. JUST WHAT I SEE. THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks Travis,

Just to clarify, there are two different points in the four pictures posted. The top two are the front and back of the point I'm questioning as to being paleo. It is heavily encrusted in calcium or some other sediment from the stream it has lived in for so long. I'm not sure how to clean the sediment off without harming the piece. Because of the sediment, it's hard to see the flaking very well.

The bottom two pics are of another point, front and back, that I also found yesterday. I'd love ID help for either or both.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hey Mike D, I feel like a Beastie Boy when I say Mike D. Anyways,.. yeah i thought you were talking about the top pics. It's good that san gabriel look to me but I don't think it's paleo. but get more opinions. there's alot more people that are better at identifying points than I am.

M, I'll ride with Trav, that top point might need a real professional opinion. Like at a flint show where
non binding opinions are free.
The scale on flint can accumulate in as little as 300 yrs depending on soil conditions. It's reccomended to leave any residue on at least until it is professionally examined ( or forever ).
If you prefer clean, 9% vinegar will do it without damage.
Second point may never be known for sure with so much missing. A good appraiser might offer a few possibilities based on overall design and flaking