Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
latest finds -- small fairland?

my last finds! Several spuds!

Photobucket

Sweet little fairland!!

Photobucket

a resharpened Perd/gower?

Photobucket

nice little wells.

Photobucket

Nice darl.

Photobucket

When I first saw this one I thought it was a broke perdiz, but the base has been worked?

Photobucket

Re: latest finds -- small fairland?

Seems they were all very flint economy minded at that site, especially the Perd/Jetta that must have been
much larger. Good show
Fella named 'Idahoe' has a large collection of spuds like yours only he calls them " Manos & tools "

Awesome finds!!!

Hal, I will agree with you on this group being stingy with the flint! It seems I find more stone tools than points, but I sure do like finding them and burnt rock, it's a sure sign that your in paydirt.
Sure was hoping to get some opinions on the little fairland?

You nailed it on the point type, it's a little beaut.
Looks like, from the pic. that it shows a little heat treating on the base. Is that the color of the flint or from heat treating?

I'm sorry, but really don't know how to tell? I thought it was the color of the flint.

Heat treating was used in areas where the flint was of poor quality. The cobbles were heated in the coals for up to 48 hours, making it easier to knap the flint. It changes it to a pink or purple color and leaves it with a greasy or shiny appearance. (Hester and Collins-1974) I find points around here that have been treated on occassion. Rare but not uncommon. I just noticed that some of yours have a pink color in certain parts of the point. Could be the flint or possibly they were heat treated.

Thanks for the info. and I will try to do a little study on heat treating of flint, never really gave that much thought!