Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Need help please

Hello all...

I have recently inherited a small collection of arrowheads from my late Grandfather and don't know what to do with them. I have done some research online but my search has seem to have left me with more questions than answers.

My grandfather spent most of his life on the Great Plains of Eastern NM and West TX. He lived in Roswell, Clovis, Albuquerque, and Amarillo. My grandmother did inform me that he was an avid artifact hunter from around 1950-1970. Although she never joined him on his adventures she assured me that he found each and every one. However, no documentation has been found as to exactly when/where each piece was found.

I have listed a few questions... any answers will be greatly appreciated.

1. Are they worthless with no documentation?

2. What is the best way to go about authentication? (online, private, museum, etc...)

3. Who is the best authenticator? Does it matter?

4. How much should authentication cost?

5. Does the fact that they are framed/mounted (with glue) affect value?

6. If these are real and valuable... will I encounter any legal issues trying to sell these?

Again, I have very little knowledge of arrowheads and artifacts… I am open to any observations/criticism based on what your trained eyes see in my pictures. Thanks again in advance for any replies...

Re: Need help please

Jason those are some real beauties and if they are authentic they will be very valuable. If it were me who inherited I would hang onto those. Getting them authenticated is mainly realistic if you wanted to sell them. I have a few points that were glued with a jb weld type epoxy best thing I can say is leave them glued. Some glues like jb weld te only way to remove it is by heating is passed it's giving point in heat strenghth but that could damage a 1000.00 point and make it worth a 1.00. If you are local contact dwain Rogers he is a good person and can tell you alot about what you have. I believe on the main page of the website there is a spot for dealers or something that has his information there. Good luck be careful what you do. Do your homework first!

Here's some thoughts ( just mine ) by your numbers

1..Worthless to me. The examples you show are some of the most expensive of their type, a buyer would have to be very young to put up big money without a professionals inspection.
2..To be of value an authenticator must be able to offer a COA ( certificate of authorisation ). Places
like museums wont.
Look at ads for other 'arrowheads' being offered for sale. MANY quality pieces offer up to 3 different COAs
3..Brent's info covers this nicely.
4..Just a short phone call to several advertising appraisers will get the current fee.
5.Glue might make a $ difference. I would let the buyer do his own removing. Again the examples you are showing are such high $, just give the buyer a small discount.
6..No legal problems that I know of.
I do know that points sold in good faith plainly state " money back guarenteed if they dont rate a COA "...there could be big legal action if the terms are not met.
If your in TX J, you have a golden opportunity..On October 15th there is a quality flint show in Fredericksburg. Take your frames there and just walk
around and show them to the dealers, they may offer $ or give you a free verbal opinion.

I buy points, feel free to email me

Are you in Texas? It looks like you have some nice points, but be prepared, a couple of them look to be modern reproductions. I don't like authenticating by pictures alone, but a couple just jump out at me.

Re: I buy points, feel free to email me

The Cumberland in the fourth photo is a long way from home. The Scottsbluff in the fifth photo is almost too good to be true. The main man in the whole wide world for Scottsbluff is right here in Texas and he will be at the Fritztown Flint Show.

The black Dalton in photo #3, the black Scottsbluff in photo #5 and the black Angostura in photo # 7B all represent classic Texas types from 10,000 to 8000 BP. I find it interesting that they all appear to have been made by the same left-handed individual and from the same material. The proof in the puddin' will be taking them to the Fritztown flint show.

Those are some very nice pieces, grandpa collected for twenty years, A person can go 40-60 years or longer and may not find those type points. I would suggest getting appraisals from several sources and take my time making the descision to sell them. Just my opinion! Thanks for posting

Thanks everyone for your replies… all of your information has been very helpful.

How does everyone feel about museums? I was thinking about taking them to my area museum (Blackwater Draw, Clovis, NM) to see if what I have is even real and worth pursuing further. I would love to attend the show on Oct. 15… but I would hate to take a long road trip only to find out what I have is fake.

Can anybody recommend a knowledgeable person in Eastern NM or West TX?

Here are a few more pictures… a couple of close-ups and different angles.

Jason, I don't want to come across wrong and get you unnecessarily upset because I can't tell for certain on all of your points through a photograph but the three big gray ones were all made by the same fraud and are not authentic. If you need authentications I'm the other authenticator in Texas besides Rogers. I do Texas, and Mid-western artifacts. My fees are half of Rogers at $10 dollars each and I put out the best color photographs and COA's in the business. You can ask Stuart Gallop who is the business manager of this site about me if you need a quick reference. OR Go to my web-site at www.ButlerArtifactAuthentication.com and read all you want about my history and philosophy. Feel free to e-mail me at headhunter100points@yahoo.com Regards, Bob Butler

Well there's a good option and preliminary professional thoughts on your points from Coldstone.
I looked for a flint show in NM ( anywhere )...nothing.
Certainly never has been any shows in W TX.
Keep us in mind for a follow up report on your eventual findings.

Per my previous post regarding another web-site and it's business manager. Please disregard that post referring to him as the business manager of Austin Diggers because he is not related to this site in any way. That's what happens when you are in contact with a number of sites. My thanks to Michelle for pointing that out. By the way, I think we all should be proud and glade to have such a wonderful site as Austin Diggers available to us, especially right here in the Lone Star State. Just one more feather in the hat of the artifacts community here in Texas. Thank you Michelle!!!

Well thanks for the kind works and welcome to the webaite dear!

One name comes to mind to when it comes to the larger artifact and thats... GREY GHOST ...

Anyone think I am in the Ball Park??

heck of a collection though!! I would LOVE to have that Scottsbluff in phoho either what! Its a beauty!

-Michelle

Hate to tell you but it looks like you have a number of contemporary (modern) points. I hope I'm wrong. At any rate, I would contact Dwaine Rogers in Temple, Texas or Bill Jackson in Mount Sterling, KY. As far as authenticators go, they are the best. A COA from either of them is money well spent. There are a number of authenticators whose certificates are only good for toilet paper or starting fires. I know both of these gentlemen personally and they are the only ones I will use. I hope I'm wrong and they are all authentic; they will be worth a lot of money.
Bob Peters