Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
They're getting smaller

First chance to get out and surface hunt in a while, work overload with this latest boom, but did sneak in a few minutes yesterday. No great trophies but at least I can keep my crown as far as Clear Fork King. Found another one to add to my growing pile of them. This one has to take the record for the smallest one that I've found. It tops in at a whooping 1 3/4. Musta been used on twigs or toothpicks. Found a couple of other worked pieces, no bragging rights on them but still better then nothing.

Re: They're getting smaller

Better than a poke in the eye. I'll take that any day. Surface hunting is a tough dig. I remember many, many days of finding a worked flake and being happy.

Thanks. Be glad when this boom and hunting season is over so I can get back out there. I've found over 200 points off this ranch in the last 5 years. All surface hunting. These are just a few of the Clear Forks from there.

That latest / smallest find must have a special story behind it. Made / used by a small person to copy what
Mom & Dad may have been using ?

A special small project that needed a small tool ?

The owner had a job to do and that was the only piece of flint at hand. ?

Would have been nice if the people using that tool had left a pictograph on a wall to show it in use !

Nice going King, maybe someday it will rain again in TX and wash out some more woodshop equipment.

I was begining to wonder where you were Ken!

I have a question about what you are calling the clear fork. Is it beveled on the end? I found one that I thought was a broken blade but it is worked down on the end. So after seeing yours I guess that is what i can call the one I found. I will post it when I get home tonight.

Hey Travis, nope still here, just putting in lots of OT with this boom. Gotta support the government with all my hard earned money.
Hadn't had a lot of time to get loose and hunt and that hurts.
There's two styles of Clear Fork, the uniface and biface. The biface is older, going back to Paleo times, it kinda fell out of favor for the uniface, only worked on one side. That's one of the few artifacts that remained unchanged for thousands of years. Woodworking tool is what it is. I'll post later with a side view of one of them and if I can find the picture, on how it was hafted.
Those are tools that rarely get placed in frames because of their design. I've found well over 200 of them in the last 30+ years of surface hunting.

Views of a Clear Fork/Use/ and pic's of Guadalupe Gouges, another tool found in this area.

I like the ones with the very flat bottom, just like the modern day plane blades at Home Depot.
I'm speculating most of them would have been hafted as you show, otherwise the "pointed" end would be in a bare hand.
Good report, all tools deserve better press