Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Projectiles

Here is my idea of what a Clovis Culture mammoth spear may have looked like. I stated out with a 6' main shaft and added the fore shaft and contemporary
spearhead attached with a peg and socket junction. Both the main shaft and fore shaft were made from yaupon wood.
The first bow and arrow set is a basic plains Indian type with the bow being made from western juniper. The quiver is made from raw deer hide. The second bow and arrow set are more on the order of the Caddo type with the bow made from Osage Orange. The quiver is made from alligator skin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Projectiles

Nice show as usual redman, your post always seem to astound me.

Good stuff, quite the craftsman, curious if you have heard of ancient bows being made of bordeaux (Spelling?) tree?

The Osage Orange, Maclura pomifera is also known as Bois D'Arc which is French for "wood of the arc" or "bow wood"; you know those French, they've got a different word for everything. The folks around here call it bodark.............I grew up calling them horse apple trees.

Beautiful stuff.

We grew up calling them horse apples too.

Well I be . we call them horse apple trees as well. Learn something everyday! Years ago I tried making a bow from the horse apple tree, your posting may inspire me to try again. Thanks

Your a true artist, beautiful work.

The peg & socket is well documented in the archaeologists findings, great to see a factual
reproduction.. I'm thinking it took far longer for them to fabricate the P & S than to knap the point...

The P & S also seems to have a plus in the fact that the flint was already hafted to use as a knife when it came time to cut up the kill ( and look inside for the other blades that stuck in the beast.)

I even like the choice of agressive animal picture for the package of deadly missiles !

Good info on the wood business.

( you too Sandy )

nice work.

Thank you all for your kind observations.
Arrow and spear shafts were by far the most valuable component of the weapons based on the time and labor involved in the manufacturing process. Selecting, cutting, debarking, drying. curing and straightening shafts was a lengthy process. I find it interesting that the least valuable to the Indian is the most valuable to us.

redman
I find it interesting that the least valuable to the Indian is the most valuable to us.

A digger WOG told me years ago that all flint implements were regarded by the ancients as the plastic
knives & folks are today.