Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
recent pipe find?

I have been trying to find some info on this piece. I am thinking it could be a historic pipe, but really not sure, any info on how to id would be appreciated. Thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: recent pipe find?

The guy I dig with in milam co has found a couple of those, not particulary with the bowl end just the tube part of the pipe and that's what he says they are!

Sure would like to have it restored if it has been passed around the campfires!!

Sandman, clay trade pipes made in Europe and later in America were made in molds, dried and then fired. Look for mold marks on the outside surface. If there are no mold marks your pipe could be Indian made. Google "trade pipes" and then look at all of the imagines available. Indians made their pipes from a lot of different material including clay.

Redman, I have googled the sites and images for trade pipes and clay pipes. This pipe is made in a 90 degree angle, most or all of the ones I see are made on a 30 to 45 degree angle. I can not see any mold marks at all, the stem opening is appr. 1/4 in. and then reduces to hole approx. 1/8 in. that connects to the bowl. The reason I question its maker is that I have found broken plates, bottles and square nails etc. and feel there was a homestead close by the camp. Any ideas is very much appreciated. Thanks

sandman
I have found broken plates, bottles and square nails etc. and feel there was a homestead close by the camp. Any ideas is very much appreciated. Thanks

With those other colonial finds you mention...A GOOD metal detector and a GOOD survey plan would be logical...
IF you get lucky, whatever age the colonists were they probably had some sort of a "trash dump"...(dare we hope for an outhouse ?? )
GOOD survey means, cut the grass/brush short or wait til lowest growth in dead of winter.
Several string guide lines so as to cover it all and not waste time overlapping....Use headphones to catch that slightest target noise.

The Caracara & Perdiz points that you have found are relatively young, maybe there was some overlapping
cultures.

Why bother with non Indian 'trash' ?...Bottom line, just maybe you will find a can of Sir Walter Raleigh
pipe tobacco with a "sell by" date on it

Ive heard of a big spanish camp on the frio ill bet its a trade pipe from france!

snoop diggins
ill bet its a trade pipe from france!

Quite likely, Ben Franklin made a lot of souvenir trips over there. I hope Sandy can get a definitive ID at least on the date of a find like that.