Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Find and Questions..

Hello Fellow Arrowhead Fans. I found this item is what I intially beleived to be a Scaper in Bexar County. After further reflection, I thought it could be a Hactchet due to the cutting/scapper side and the other end being impacted/pounded.

Photobucket

To test my hypothosis, I built a hatchet around the item to the best of my ability, am I way off track? See pictures below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Found this Frio Point at Bev's Dig site yesterday, second picture is of my tiny "budding" little tiny collection.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: New Find and Questions..

Full marks for an excellent analysis of a genuine ancient tool.
Your 'axe' can be found in most reference books under CHOPPER"... a really fast made tool from the first piece of flint that came to hand. Bone crushing and firewood gathering are usually listed as the most common uses.

Hafted examples are not common to Texas as it was for the NE peoples.
Choppers date from the first People right through millenia to fairly recent. Quality depends on the maker and the use, from just a few big flakes clipped off a core to the modified nodules of the beautiful Kerrville Knife.

Good show all