Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lucky surface find - 11/13/11

Was down at my folks place in Karnes County and went out to the ranch to check on the cattle and deer feeders and decided to do a little looking around the creek. There is the Dry Escondido Creek that runs through the place and connects with the San Antonio River about 4 miles away from there. I always look around there a little bit when we go out there, but have never found anything other than petrified wood and flint pieces. Never thought I was going to find anything being so far from the river, but I got a sweet surprise this time.

It's a little dinged up, but not bad for a lucky surface find. Now I just wonder if it washed off a camp or just carried down the creek.

Re: Lucky surface find - 11/13/11

Could be a camp there, you're not that far east of me.
Good find there.

Thanks Teh. I definitely intend on doing some more searching around the area, but it is growed up a lot around there and lots of leaves on the ground up top so spoting something is going to be tough. The creek is really sandy so that makes for another problem too. I thought about sifting with a shovel and screen in the area where I found the arrowhead, because there is some flint around there with the gravel that washed down. I did find two small grinding stones the same day I found the arrowhead.

Nice find X, I would count the grinding stones being more significant to finding a small camp. A singlr point could have been a wild shot at a Saber tooth but the grinders mean actual sitdown food preperation.

Wouldn't that be something to find something good on your own property

Hey Hal, I dream about finding a camp on my parents place all the time. The grinding stones I found are actually quite small, but both are made out of the exact same kind of stone. The flat surfaces are pretty smooth and definitely seem to have been used several times. Let me know your thoughts.
Bottom view.

Side view.

GeeTen
Let me know your thoughts.

I'm thinkin they look like common limestone and too small for even grinding herbs. Sorry
But the point find shows they were definitely in that area....
Maybe ask Snoop if there is some special incantation he uses to for good finds

Well Hal you may very well be right, but I do know the stones are NOT limestone and more of a silica type composition. It's hard to tell from the pic, but they are formed from tiny sand crystals but are not sandstone and are very hard. I did find a crude chopper with the arrowhead as well so there may still be hope. The chopper was large enough you couldn't touch your fingers together and about 5 inches in length. I left it on site to mark the area I found the arrowhead.