Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A ghost story

I picked these up out of from an abandoned storage locker. I know they are "gray ghost" variety, but how did they obtain such patina is my question? They look like they have river polish?
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: A ghost story

SH told me a while back that he tried experimenting with glass trying to get some type of patination with no luck. I've seen old bottles, 40 or 50 years old, that already show some signs of frosting but I don't think those Grey Ghost are that old. No clue to what chemicals could be used.

rgs
how did they obtain such patina is my question?

It's my understanding that to modern knappers that make copies of high $ type points, ,,the "patina" is as
important as the knapping process itself. It's a crucial factor in defrauding the victims.

Residue from chemical mixes that no one ever heard of, cooking off some concoction of limestone produces
5000 years old scale right in the kitchen

True story, one year ago.
Richard Chrisner paid $400 for a corner tang found by one of his 'regular' diggers who he knew...the guy's MOTHER was with him and swore that she was AMAZED at seeing it insitu...
Next week, R showed it to Dwain Rogers...D was SHOCKED...He himself had knapped the point and sold it at a flint show as a reproduction...
The point had a GREAT scaling on some of it...It would not wash off or even break off with a razor
blade.

In desperation they went to the garage and tried TURPENTINE.....it melted off

For starters, I'd never, ever pay that much for a point. I paid "ghost" money for these, along with about 2 dozen authentic arrowheads, for $80.

Your grey ghost is Scandinavian in style. Google: Danish Fishtail Dagger and then click on images

Danish dagger I've been told

I had someone from another forum state that very same thing Redman, and the funny thing is, the abandonded storage unit these came from, once belonged to a man that supposedly traveled the world. I'm going to hope & wish that there is a chance of them being authentic, but until someone proves otherwise. I'm going to try and post some close ups, of the riverwash patina on these things, for they definitely don't look modern.

Re: Danish dagger I've been told

Well given the travel aspect of the big ones, maybe there is some hope for authenticity.

Re: Danish dagger I've been told

Google: Tom Holck Denmark.