Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
camera question

I recently lost my camera, and I'm having to use a old dinosaur that's 12 years old. When I purchased the my "lost" camera, I thought I was getting a much improved camera, capable of taking close ups? Even though it was newer and more expensive, it really didn't take as good close ups as I wanted. I see great close ups all the time on here, question is, is it the camera or the photo doctoring, that enables such close ups? Do I need to spend more, to get a better camera, or do I need to figure out how to doctor the photos? I've gone to Best Buy, but those kids working there can't tell me anything.

Re: camera question

You can buy any $ 100 12 mg camera and take great close-ups using the macro setting with no flash and proper lighting. Flint is very tough to photograph as it shines back to the camera. To help with this choose the right background for the color of the flint. For the Bell below the flint is grey so I chose black for the background and use no flash. Give it a try !

Photobucket

For the rootbeer stuff I use a green background with minimal lighthing. Macro and no flash.

Photobucket

For the tan flint I use Mr. Hand and a black background !

Photobucket

Potatoes look really great on a green background.

Photobucket

And because Christmas is coming I see a new camera in your stocking... Ho Ho Ho Idahoe !

Photobucket

Thanks Idahoe, great picture, but I promise, neither one of my camera's could of taken a picture of that quality. I've worked with and without the flash, but after that I'm lost. If I get too close, my pictures turn out fuzzy.

No problem. I will send you the link to your Christmas present. If I can do it you can do it. Easy as pie. I like taking insitu pictures of Hal's brokes. Speaking of Hal, did you notice his Thanksgiving turkey suit on the front page? I will be digging Starr the end of this month. Hal will be joining me. I think?

If I read your question correctly, your presently using a 12 yr old cam....if so ....THATS your problem..
No matter how good the brand, it's like the comparison of Flintstone TV technology Vs flat screen..

Take your own SD card to BB ask the nice sales lady to shoot a few closeups with various new cameras, then make comparisons at home on the larger PC monitor.
NO altering should be needed to get an Idahoe quality pic.

I really like my $180. underwater ( Fuji ) cam but it's a fixed lens and has limitations of telephoto & macro.
ALSO just because of varying CCDs...it cannot handle an all yellow backround..so when you get a sharp picture, you'll have to experiment with composition that your camera likes

I just had a poor result on a closeup that was in good light and should have been good..
I think it was because I didn't hold the camera rock solid through the "half way down" focusing interval..
It seems that although digital cameras are ' electronic'they dont instantly capture an image and slowly process it onto digital format....Just like the extinct celluloid technology, the dimmer the light the longer the camera must be unmoved. Even in what seems good lighting, Macro reduces the overall field of view and the available light in the center.

Pixels are cheap, try some "rock solid " tests

This was my 'surprise blurred ' closeup of Tksgvg dinner # 2

Photobucket
(it's dead Turkey, not an endangered species ! )

Here's another alternative to Idahoe quality closeups.

Just ordinary, off the shelf scanners have great capabilities for individual closeups of points PLUS
the discrete functions to modify toning. Unique backrounds just depend on what material you place over the point.

We have all seen the pics of both sides of a point shown. I assume that must require a scanner with a specialized program to not only tone the subject but to " capture " the subject and put it next to the other side...
Backrounds from mild to wild...

This is NOT a psychedelic, disco ball program

Excerpt from " the journal of prehistoric American" as an example

Photobucket