Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
last few days

Was able to get out a few hours in the last couple of days.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucketalt="Photobucket">

A small rubbing stone, it amazes me at the amount of grinding/rubbing stonetools found. What the heck was they rubbing or grinding!!
And a nice flake knife, the 1st pic shows the edge flaking better.

Photobucket

Re: last few days

You did well to get between the raindrops. Thats a beautiful full point ( Marshall ? )
We've been watching your 'stone' collection over many months, agreed, what were they doing ? Maybe just a lot
of young people bringing home unusual rocks

Not real sure on point type.
In my area which is mostly deep sand, the rocks that are natural to the area are iron ore and petrified rock, the iron ore was used as firerock so any river rocks are easily spotted, the closest river is the Little River which is maybe 7-8 miles away.

It does amaze me to find these rocks which show signs of being used, I have dug in other areas which are naturally more rocky and not hsve found as many, maybe they are easily overlooked? Thanks

Here's a conundrum for the rock-et man:

For every Mano there had to be a matate, yet matates are seemingly more rare than Corner tangs.
Where's all the Matates ?
We're told the early people were very movable...did they carry 20 to 50 pound rocks around with them....?
and leave absolutely useful and beautiful, hand pecked to size Granite & quartz Manos behind ?

I agree. I find lot of manos and no matates. Well a few but not the amount matching the manos. I also don't find any drills. I see them posted here on the forum, but my camp doesn't produce any. Wonder why.

Well H. the mystification for the reason why we dont see as many metates is we (I being included at the top of the list and I'm not talking about the ones You carjack off the sides of hills) are just too lazy to turnover every big rock we see to see if the bottom of said rock is dished.the ones that we do find are usually turned upside down and also covering other treasures such as Texas Diggers Bill Arnold cache of corner tangs for example, so we need to exploit all dirt, sand, gravel, etc. upon finding these illusive creatures. My first thought of movement is no but upon further pondering is yes if they had a more mobile rock than the bedrock mortars more commonly used for example. If their supply of water and game started running scarce or were moving because of the seasons and they had a camp in mind where they knew there were limited resources then it seems reasonable to take along what they needed for the proccessing of food and so forth.As for the mano's I believe they were a multi use tool not just for the crushing, grinding/ food proccessing but some were used in many other ways such as nutters? hammerstones, polishing stones, and the like.I believe like us they picked up all kinds of stones along the way. I also believe that like us to keep their children occupied and to keep them outta their hair they would say "go find me some purdy rocks if your not going to be helpfull with this move."'
I hope this little insight was helpfull with your conundrum.I will be pondering more on this soo for now this is Rockit Man signing off.

Good info Pat, that explains why Manos & big matate stones are not necessarily paired. Bedrock Matate / mortars under a camp would be very difficult to be recognized as such. ( who would want to drag a piece
of bedrock home anyway ? )