Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Good finds and a question about a bone tool

http://youtu.be/v6swx5hzRQg

Re: Good finds and a question about a bone tool

Is that one an Alba or Perdiz? Not a clue on the bone tool. Thought it might be an unfinished whistle at first, then a knaping tool but those wouldn't have a hole in the end.

Hey Ken. I call it a bonham point. I hope it's a bone handle. Never found one. I wonder if it's an I.d. candidate for dwain?

It was a toss up between the Alba and Bonham. That bone could be a handle for something. About the right size and shape. Dwain might have some idea's on it. I couldn't find much in any of my books showing bone artifacts. Pretty rare. Good find though.

Another great cinematic milestone, very good.

The bone is certainly a unique conversation piece. My observation is that the maker was being super careful
with whatever he was going to use it for. Imagine how long, narrow and FRAGILE the flint drill bit must have been to keep it narrow yet 2 inches deep.
Just establishing bone or Antler would help. Antler is denser and stronger than bone for tool hafting...

Your bone artifact appears to be about the right size for a whitetail deer leg bone......which leg bone would be difficult to ascertain from the pictures. The biggest leg bone is the femur so I'll use it as an example. Both the proximal epiphysis (upper end) and the distal epiphysis (lower end) of the femur are made up spongy boney material with a hollow shaft in between. Your piece appears to have the spongy material remaining at one end and the remains of the naturally hollow shaft at the other. The context in which you found the piece would say a lot about whether it was a tool or not. If you found it in an established campsite I'd say it was man handled. If you found it on a sandbar, I'd say no.

Redman-Yes, the bone was found right in the middle of a camp. Withing a 2 foot radius of the bone I found lots of flint, bone, ash. Thnaks in advance.

Well thats good, you at least know you have the leftover from a good venison dinner,
The only question now is how you have all this time for typing when you should be shoveling snow and pasting stars on the ceiling of the baby's room

haha! yeah Hal. Very soon. No snow yet. Just heavy frost. 24 this morning when i woke up.