Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Natural lines in quartz or man made?

went digging for a few hours yesterday,not much but a couple brokes,and kasey found this piece of quartz in question.......the lines do not appear to go all the way through.Which is why we believe they are not natural.Has anyone seen a piece of incised quartz?
we have also found a few quartz grindstones in near by middens,which shows they have worked other pieces.

Re: Natural lines in quartz or man made?

No, but that's really nice.

wow!!!you just dont see that everyday i think i would bleach it.i think natural or naturaley unnatural????cool rock!!!

I would guess for man made because they go across what appears to be a very definite "stacked" structure. Its such a fractured looking rock, why would the guy have wasted his time on it? Maybe just ancient doodling

Quartz crystal has a hardness of 7. Calcite Crystals have a hardness of 3. See if you can scratch your crystal with the tip a knife blade or nail.

Someone gave me a piece of "Texas Topaz"...not really sure what it is...might this be Topaz???

Texas Topaz is a form of smokey quartz. and is not true topaz

Thanks...I often wondered.

Redman, It scratches fairly easy with a piece of flint.....

It's Calcite or selenite gypsum. The lines are cleveage planes. The native americans would not have anything hard enough to scratch a quartz crystal.

Cool thanks for the info....so i assume cleveage planes are natural.......after testing this rock in Q i tested some true quartz from area and could not scratch em...makes since.

Folks have been attracted to and have picked up calcite crystals for as long as there have been folks and crystals for them to pick up. You are not the first folks to own and admire that piece................Sometime in the future, on a cold winter night with the wind blowing; think about those folks, how they lived, what they ate and where would they be on a cold winter's night.

That very well could have been a Christmas ornamant hung on a prehistoric tree? Just sayin...