Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What kind of rock is this

I found several of these stones where I found my points it's in karnes county it's nothin but caliche can anybody tell me anything about this it weighs bout 75 pounds the largest one.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos">
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos">

Re: What kind of rock is this

I'd say it was agatized petrified wood. Nice stuff too. It'd make somebody doing lapidary work real happy, and it'd make some real nice points too. The right combination of minerals and it could be opalized.

My guess is petrified wood replaced by Chaldony. Otherwise no clue. Nice chunk ! Hal is the geologist and will soon comment. Hal?

Alot of the points I find are made from this

Your county has lots of petrified Palm wood although yours does not appear to be Palm. Sill thinking petrified wood but what mineral it was replaced with is unknown to me. Call Hal. He knows every rock in the state. In person ! Hal?

Ken you are right on the money. Hal is sleeping so your opinion is right on track. I like petrified wood points but have never found one.

I found that one 4" blade out of palm and a couple of others out of wood, those though were of much lower quality. The pieces of palm that I've found were generally small but of high quality. The other wood was fractured and had a lot of inclusions.

Idahoe
Hal is the geologist

SCHEEZE Ida

It's a beautiful piece of petrified wood

i live in east tx and petrified wood is as common as pine trees, thats a very nice large piece, i have a few gary points made of it