Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I found my first virgin mound.Look!!!!!!

I havent been digging for that long maybe 2 months but i was tired of going to mounds that were all dug up. I started doing research and study a bit on how to locate a mound. so Me and a friend went to check out a spot were he had been hiking before and found a lot of flint and dig some test holes. My friend took me to a open field that had a ridge blocking the north wind and a creek about 400 yards away and started digging by the trees near the ridge. I didn't like the spot he put me on even tho i was finding good flint. i Stop digging about 10 min in and just look and the land and what it did. I noticed that we were digging on a bit of a slope and pick up my thing and started walking towards the creek, as i got closer i realized there was a little hill that was blocking this area of the field about the size of a football field completely flat with a group of older oaks trees.The tress were growing on raised area of the field. I pick the buggiest oak closest to the creek and started a couple of test hole, i didnt want to did a hole that might hurt the cow that were around and make the owner mad. The owner didnt know we were out there but this was to good to not check out. My second test hole produced a point and 30-40 flint chips and burn-rock. I knew i had found a mound just didnt know how big. After i found the point i packed up my things and told my friend we had to go. i didnt say anything about the finding because i had a plan. I found out who the owner on the land was an older gentleman who was about to sale the place. i told him what i wanted to do and he said no because he has had problems with digging before with people sneaking on to the property at night and digging massive holes that a few cow got hurt broken legs. I let him know how much i loved arrowhead hunting and how i dont have my land anymore and to my surprise he said he enjoyed arrowhead hunting as well but was to old now to go. I told him that i just wanted to dig one small area and i would build a fence to keep the cows out and i would not bring a bunch of people also respect any wish he might have. He smiled and said ok that's a deal. just come by and show me the arrowheads you find i would get a kick out of that. I've only dug the mound 3 times and found 14 points a bunch of broken points and a knife/blade. In the same test hole i started by the old oak. the hole is only L=4ft W=5ft D=2.5-3ft. Check out my finding!

hope you enjoyed the story!

thanks,
spence

Photobucket

Re: I found my first virgin mound.Look!!!!!!

Good story. That must be a very rich area to find so much in a small area, Your going to need a lot more fencing material

Fence hopping is frowned upon

by most all diggers, and landowners. You should always ask first, trespassing is a very serious offense.

k

I'm new to this and i really like to go and explore its so hard to find out who the owner is sometimes. This guys has like 800 acres and i got lucky because it was for sale and thats what help me the for sale sign.