Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A VERY ATTRACTIVE REPORT

I got mine from one of my compressor stations, then looked them up on the internet and several places sell them. They're not expensive and are many times stronger then a regular magnet.. The only drawback is that they're brittle. No problem when using them to hunt with but I found out that if you let them come together to hard they'll chip. Also found out the hard way that they're so strong that if you're messing around with them and your skin gets between them, super ouch. Have to use a pocket knife to get them apart.

Sandy, Have you seen that program "METEORITE MEN"..
They walk around deserts with a magnet on a stick.. as professionals it should be the strongest magnets available.
G-X...Get some fresh batteries in that machine..Excellent practice area is "top O the hill" at Starr...You can never have enough old square nails...

A magnet could be just held in the fingers but I prefer glued to some sort of stick..

Photobucket

Countersunk into the stick insures best hold

Photobucket

Ken / Hal, thanks for the info. I will have to do some online shopping. Whats that "stick" made of Hal, just plexiglas? Did you cut it out or can you buy something like that? Oh and by the way I have watched Meterorite Men, it's a pretty interesting show. But how would you come across a map of a strand field to begin with? Kind of like arrowhead hunting in a way; pick a spot that looks good and start searching.

I found three so far. Think the little ones are called tektites, they're the size of pennies. Found them surface hunting on a sandstone hill. I've looked there for nearly 30 years and haven't found any more. Just thought they were odd rocks at the time, not something you'd find on an area that was nothing but sandstone and flint brought up there by the Indians to knock out a few points. I hunting it a few years ago with a metal detector but no luck.

GeeTen
Ken / Whats that "stick" made of Hal, just plexiglas? Oh and by the way I have watched Meterorite Men, it's a pretty interesting show. But how would you come across a map of a strand field to begin with? Kind of like arrowhead hunting in a way; pick a spot that looks good and start searching.

Stick could be anything waterproof. Mine is 3/16th polycarbonate ( that bullet proof Lexan material ).

Major ( and some minor ) strewn fields are pretty much public info that can be found with research and / or
contact with meteorite websites ( just like this one for flint ).
One of interest that ties into this posting is found in the book " ROADSIDE GEOLOGY OF TX "..There is a meteor crater in Odessa TX ( open to the public ) and did create a strewn field. One of the MMen shows was done right here and as I remember they said they could not get access to all the area they wanted ...BUT they checked some of the public dirt roads around the zone and sure enough they DID find some meteorite pieces that had been road graded asside.

Tecktites are also great non terestial finds but are not ferous ( cannot be found with detectors or magnets )

Heather gave the new magnet a test run...

Photobucket

And found a magnetic Easter egg

The Easter Bunny is in cahoots with Santa Clause...he brings reindeer for Easter prizes.

This is a better demo of that one little magnet...

Lifting this 24" X 3/4" crowbar

Photobucket

Those magnets sure got some sticking and holding power. Just don't get your fingers stuck between them. Ouch!!!

GeeTen
Ken / Oh and by the way I have watched Meterorite Men, it's a pretty interesting show. But how would you come across a map of a strewn field to begin with?

A brand new field has just been created yesterday ( 4/22/12 ) in the Nevada / California area.. It did explode and that will produce thousands ( millions ? )of fragments.
It's bound to be well defined as one fragment actually set a building afire and they have pictures that will establish the trajectory.

You can bet the meteorite big boys are out there right now

I've tried magnets around here and was really surprised on the amount of natural metal fillings that I picked up. This red sand is thick with it. I've found one fist sized and two smaller meteorites surface hunting.

SH
"METEORITE MEN"..
They walk around deserts with a magnet on a stick.. as professionals it should be the strongest magnets available.

They were on again last week. At one point they were talking about their top quality magnets...
The one glued on their pick/mattock digger, looks like 4 inches X 1 inch....He said was rated at 73 pounds lift.

SEVENTY THREE POUNDS

Tehuacana
I've tried magnets around here and was really surprised on the amount of natural metal fillings that I picked up. This red sand is thick with it.

"RED SAND " ....Could that be MAGNETITE in that Red granite sand ? ....

a GOLD find in SOUTH TEXAS....! ..

Whooo Hooo...

I had to put a ziplock bag over the magnet, easier to clean all the raw metal flakes I picked up. I hadn't tried to see how much weight just one magnet would pick up yet, but have had a couple of severe pinchings when they got to close together and my finger was in the way. They're strong enough that I have to pry them apart with a pocket knife, can't even slide them apart.

Here's a magnet project that surprised me...

Last week on a science show reviewing the virtues of IRON, they took a large bowl of a top name brand cereal
that advertised " FORTIFIED WITH DAILY ADULT IRON REQUIREMENT ".....
They pulverised the cereal to a fine powder then dragged a magnet through it several times..
There it was.... ...IRON FILINGS

They didn't say if it was tempered or rust treated iron