Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Barksdale Continued..

Andrew, my cousins and I drove almost 4000 miles round trip from oregon to C3 and Starr, I spent 1,500 dollars on travel expenses. Did not find much, however had the greatest time and met the greatest people. cant wait to spend another 1,500 dollars or more to come down there again. I JUST LOVE THE HUNT!!!!

boy not like old times

Just make sure to wear your nametag big and bright at the temple show.

Well Andrew, sounds like you're in the wrong hobby if your thoughts are on cost verses revenues. I doubt anyone guaranteed you $200 + worth of artifacts on your dig. Or anything else in life. With any kind of hunting, deer, bird, etc. you're NOT guaranteed to get your money's worth. It's a hunt, not a find. I won't get into how far some people come for these digs, but what you spent was a paltry amount verses driving or flying from Alaska, California, Idaho, Florida, or many other states, of which we've met many from way out of state on these digs. I've never heard them whining and wailing about how much they spent.
Our expenses on some of these trips far outways what you spent. We've, out of the goodness of our hearts, barbequed for everyone out there, and took no payment in return. And more then once. That expense wasn't even factored in with the $400 that my wife and I paid for the dig or tips if we so decided to Cyrus or TJ for their hard work. We enjoy getting out and slinging dirt with hopes of finally at least one good point. If we don't, no problem, there's always next time.
Your last post can be construed as a threat, not real smart to do on an open forum that's used by attorney's, Judges, and others of law enforcement.
Might think about it before you add fuel to a fire.
There was another site that tolerated threats and slander..............it's no longer on line.

Well said my friend , I think mr Andrew is one of those fellows that I'm sure you have had at least a time or to , have met out on the digs , that whine & complain the whole time they are there. Those kind of people can't understand that you have to put in your time & pay your dues & the luck of the draw is in fates hand. You first have to love with all your hearts passion to hunt arrowheads. I'm sure most of us here on this forum have walked more miles , I bet into the thousand's to find them points, some days bad & then there was that special day that was awesome , I keep hunting & looking & going to the pay digs , for that next awesome day , never knowing when in will be, in the process of going , you have fun , share stories & meet new people & make new friends , that alone is worth the the money you spend on going . Good show & thanks for the report. Cliff.

You nailed it Cliff. I've worn out many a pair of boots and pulled many a cactus or mesquite thorn out after tromping around in the brush looking for points and coming home with nothing but a bad sunburn and a couple of tips or bases. Walked more miles then I care to count for little or no return. If those points were just laying around by the thousands, it'd take all the fun out of it.
If you're going to a screen dig to make money or getting your monies worth in finds, then good luck. You got a better chance buying lottery tickets. The digs are for the thrill of the hunt and the occassional trophy that makes your day. We've done enough to have a few of those trophies, and now they're proudly mounted on the wall.

Although my finds were not Killer we saw some points off the tables that were really nice. Perdiz especially. Take a look at that young diggers face when he screened a point. Priceless ! I hope he will become a fan of digging. I found my first Bell Variant (after Cyrus went deep and after spending countless hours looking) and it's on the way to Gomer. Although is missing a wing and part of another, it's fluted and early post paleo. This point was in the ground before the Pyramids were built. I do not have an example of it so will post the before and after when it gets back. Who cares if its restored, it's a super example of the type. Try and find one. The Indian broke it while knapping it so I am reasonabally sure he went without dinner. It has a small inclusion and I can see exactly where and why it broke in process. That is the beauty of artifact hunting.

Photobucket

You can see the inclusion on the left side, possible cause of the break. Real colorful flint, that's the beauty of digging in the hill country. More colors then anywhere else.
That does have good fluting on it Idaho. Wonder if the flute was knapped in before the point ever took shape?

These are great memories. Barksdale will get real good, real soon. The site is full of stuff yet to be found.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Red sky at night, diggers delight

"insitu" even on a screen really brings the fun of finding right to the home audience.
Ida, long as your in the market for a new camera, how about looking into a 3D model so we can 'TOUCH' your upcoming finds too

And nice job on the Bell closeup in getting it lined up with the beer can stain on the table to show where the missing section was. !

Tks for the show, good effort

this site is on its last leg to no one posting like a few yrs ago . yall ran off the local diggers and look at the crapy digfest yall did last year .
we went to a dig with lunker brad and had a blast at rolands that guy was a real outdoorsmen .
looks like this site is down to about 6 guys that post lmao .

That was sure luck to find the core to the point. I'm always looking for matching flakes when we find any artifact, whole or broke. Figure if it was being knapped out in an area, there'd be the flakes with it. I'll keep looking.

Nice finds, looks like a successful dig to me! I sure want a Kerrville knife in my collection. Thanks for the beautiful sunset shot as well. As to the agitators, probably best to just ignore them, and hopefully they'll crawl back under their rocks.

Heres my Sunday half day finds, just making it in, took sometime to enjoy the river and country there. Enjoyed meeting Idahoe,Tom and Cyrus.

Tried finding this one in book with no luck, it seems like I have seen them in there before? Ok,maybe Pipe Creek.

Photobucket

This comanche perd sure would have been a killer!

Photobucket

Not real sure on this one, looks old!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes the penny was a monetary find!

Photobucket

Had a good time and looking forwards to going back, I think the site will get better as the dig gets closer to the river!jmho

Yep Sandy, you got yourself a Pipe Creek, and a good'n at that. I'd call that a Batwing Perd.
Woulda been a centerpiece if whole.
Tom, we missed out this time, hope to make it next time your down. Even if we don't come bck with a truckload of whole points, just the fun of getting out and meeting new people while slinging dirt is worth any amount of money.
Gotta finally meet up with Sandy and Idaho.

Excellent posting Sandman ! It was my pleasure meeting you. And I am sure we will again. I am truly amazed at the age of the points coming out. We have Paleo, post paleo and up from there. As the camp is dug to the river I am positive it will only get better. And I am sure that Andice will make it to the tables. I am hopeful the negative posters will just go away. When we get together again lets make a weekend out of it and have the pit roasting while we dig. You have some good stuff for a half day. Thank you for sharing.

Sounds good to me!

Good show Sandy
Checkout the old posting by the king of Pipe Creeks ( Tucker )..The description is also listed in the Hester book. Must be an oversight that it's not in the OverS.

Old looks good, we'd like to hear what the experts call it.

That bottom pic is the kind I like where extreme age artifacts are close together,found at the same site...

COIN..........19?? ( 62 ? )

PIPE CREEK....1000 AD

OLDIE.........9000 BC

How deep was the coin ? ... Tee Hee

Oregon Tom
I JUST LOVE THE HUNT!!!!

YOU NUT ..puts me in mind of me !

In 1971 I drove from TX to Vancouver BC to join two adventure buddies to seek our fortune in the upper reaches of the Fraser. One week of gold dredging in
glacier melt water..
My share of the finds was a gold nugget the size of a pin head..
I can still remember in vivid detail the northern lights, how cold the water was and the $2,000. for expenses. ( at least $6,000. in today's money )

Priceless

Hello yall

I appreciate yall posting all those finds! I need to get in the dirt myself

Speaking of dirt.. Thats where I just stuck coco. I burried him in the ban **** can. Whatta ****in looser

See you all when I get back to Texas

Now I remember them guys, seems I recall they were more into pigs & pig related things & thought there flop of a pig roast fest was the real cats meow, I guess if you get more than a few coco puffs & put them with a pig , you might have a slop fest , not much there to compare to , if your going up against the real deal. Two thumbs up for DiG Fest 2012.

LOL!

Idahoe, Great posts & pictures of the dig, thanks for posting. Is TJ & Cyrus digging on just weekends or any day they get enough people there? Thanks, John

I believe for now it's weekends. You need to call Cyrus. What a great guy. The screens are always full of dirt to screen .. We hit the Bell dirt last time and it will get better as they move to the river. I am amazed at the dates of the finds. Bell-Andice to Woodland. Most of what are we finding now are early to mid archaic. The bird points are exceptional. Lots of brokes but you know the drill. Move a lot of dirt to find the killer. We will be out weekend after next.