Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Old Tooth Pick

Very original presentation.

Slightly fancifull perhaps but more acurate than showing a " drill " being used as a drill

I think these were multi-use tools. These were found together in G Town. One is clearly made to perforate or poke holes through hide or whatever. The other was likley used to pick stuff. Probably more picking than drilling. (cleaning out nuts, bones and teeth) The neat thing about both of these is they have the outside of the flint cobble, the white skin (hardest part of rock) is cleaverly left on the cutting edge of both tools. I don't think this is a coincidence. Anybody got drills or picks with the outside skin on the cutting tip ? Attach a pict.
Kris
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Kris
I think these were multi-use tools. Probably more picking than drilling. (cleaning out nuts, bones and teeth) The neat thing about both of these is they have the outside of the flint cobble, the white skin (hardest part of rock) is cleaverly left on the cutting edge of both tools. I don't think this is a coincidence. Anybody got drills or picks with the outside skin on the cutting tip ?

I think tools also, a Swiss army knife before they invented the red plastic handle.
A quick check of most of my drills has none with the cortex as you describe but the vast majority are
reworked from dart points that predominently have evidence of the cortex at the base.

The conundrum facts around "drills" is intriguing...

- There are examples from the earliest Paleo right through to the latest "bird point" era.
- There seems to be similar examples from every tribal division
- Distribution, at least all of North America ( see every section of the OverS book )
- "drills" are NOT rare...everybody's got at least one ( unlike some people that dont even have ONE Corner tang )
- as to use...the longer & narrower,,,, the more delicate and fragile...useless for heavy grunching !

Whole drills are rare Hal. Not everyone has found a good one. I hunt a lot and it took 3 years to find my first good one. I have never found a piece of a confirmed C-tang. I would rather find a effigy pipe or nice game piece. Some drawings or art form like the Mayans made. I would like that more than a C-tang. My buddie has a deer antler knife with 1/4 of the antler still intact. Nicer than any C-tang I've ever seen and I have been to all the local shows. Peoples holy grail in artifacts differ. Hal you should have a pile of C-tangs after all your diggin.

At this point i think you and hal have found everything in texas lol i cant seem to get out of skunksville tuesday will be the streak breaker i hope great show kris

It's always embaressing to me when this CT subject comes up.. I have shifted my interests & priorities, I no longer for a CT. My is
now any Paleo or as close to it as I can get.

Attached a pic of the custom hanging "drill / perforator " frame that's been up about 4 yrs. Probably
half are complete but I repair a lot of my finds so it's not a true indicator of original use damage. I have a ziplock bag of unmounted drills now ( probably will never get mounted....I dont have enough walls )

Photobucket

Did you notice that that wiggle pickless Snoop is going to try again
I wonder if the biggest firecrackers could be used to excavate an indian camp ?? ( like fishing with hand grenades

well im all picked out got one with the ball on it, lets see if i can fix the mojo

yeah i believe in pick mojo now. ive been diggin almost 3 years now found some good ones but not what i would consider centerpieces. so i used my bros ww2 pick for the first time, the same one he has dug up many treasures with, and would you believe i found my centerpiece. cant wait to show you this one next time i see you snoop

That's one mean collection of drills there Hal. I've found about 4 good ones and a dozen broken ones so far. About half and half on them being made on worn out points.

That’s an awesome frame Hal. Looks like you were digging in the machine shop of the day. Lots of tools and bits. Imagine all the stuff that those tools and bits punctured or poked holes in.
Thanks for the look see. Good luck with the Paleo.
Any luck with the ball pick Snoop ?

Kris i hope to digg tomorrow well see how she does

Anyone have time tomorrow im dying to sling some dirt and givien work and the new baby its a lot better meeting up w someone than convincing my self to sleep

Kris
Hal you should have a pile of C-tangs after all your diggin.

Best I could manage ( up to today )

Photobucket

This drill was at the FredB show...
What was the original owner doing with THIS one ?

Photobucket

( American money is 6 inches long )