Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TJ's SUPER NEW SCREEN DIG

Tehuacana
Thanks Travis. That was a good day out there with lots of good finds. Lot of Paleo stuff around here. Just need to get the time to get loose and do some surfacing.

Neat to look at bygone days' finds..."the good old days " !

I checked the Ovrst (12th) for your area Te, The 'NORTHERN HIGH PLAINS ' chapter is the smallest of all the areas of the book.. And it looks like fully half the examples are Paleo and Early Archaic..
Then to the color plates in the front & back of the book...didn't locate even one example from Montana..... BUT ...OREGON is very well represented. Quite a few from Saskatchewan. Lots of trade points dated to the earliest French trappers up that way..

Better stick with taking down the screens and putting up the storm sashes, wrapping the pipes and winterising for now...winter starts in just a couple of weeks

Overstreet just never got out in this area. I checked out the local museums and collections and there's some killer Paleo points found locally. Don't know how they missed out in his book.
We're planning a trip out to the buffalo jumps and I talked to the land owner and there's been a lot of old points and blades found. They do allow hand digging and may be up for a screen dig if I can get TJ or Nacho to make the quick little jaunt up here.

The Montana jumps are excellent places to hunt points. Especially if on private land. In some places the bones are eight feet deep. A variety of blades can be found.I will look for your upcoming hand-dig report with many good pictures!