Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
birthday surprise

this weekend we planned to go and hunt for some points.instead we were invited to a place thats got three 60 foot deep springs that had ten huge mounds, untouched the owner was super cool and showed u the whole property. i was so sure i would find a beauty. i dug all day and i found nothing. this place is very secuded and untouched [exept by me],what am i doing wrong,why didnt i find any.oh and the camp site has the springs waterfalls and indian made clay bath tubs

Re: birthday surprise

Here's my thoughts on your project.
In what county is the site? .. Clay 'bathtubs' sounds pretty off the mainstream. How would they be fired to make them water resistant? Unless this is FAR East TX, the rest of TX never made enough clay goods for a tea cup.

By definition a 'mound' is purely an accumulation of fire rocks used in cooking. It's a certainty that the people were grouped around these areas, in cooler WX just for the warmth and also when it was time to get to the food. So there HAS to be some strong evidence of their presence ( Bones, Manos, basic flint cooking tools etc )

I can think of three good reasons why you have not made any finds...

There ARE middens ( mounds) with ZERO artifacts in the matrix...Concentrate exclusively UNDER the fire rock, a narrow trench into & away from an obvious mound would be best for understanding future mounds.

You are far enough East in TX that they are NOT true fire rock middens but rather ceremonial mounds which has no guarantee of having anything in them except a lot of construction sweat. Hit the books for Caddoan culture mounds.

Happy Birthday

Re: birthday surprise

How about some pics of the site?

Re: birthday surprise for super hal lol

thank you hal ,three nine inch blades have been found ,and four square stones ,your my herooooo site is loc near san saba

the rock i found was a metate yeah!!!! but still no points;(

maverick
but still no points;

Those are not run of the mill mounds then, certainly not middens. I have one 9 inch blade, very thin found in Hays county. Closest ID is a Caddoan Blade.
Couple experts agree it must be ceremonial only as it's too well made and fragile to be utilitarian. Overall blade design looks Covington teardrop.

My thought is that there are surely " camps " on the property in the vicinity of each mound but level with the present surface...tough to locate but would
be very interesting to identify exactly what type & age points of the people that might be responsible for the mounds.

A pic or two would be interesting to our readers,,,if your in the mood