Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LIFE AFTER DIGFEST

I spent the day at C3 yesterday. All back to "normal", signs down, porta potties gone, no traffic jams, Spyder the dog hoping for more scraps.

The "deep hole" site never produced the early archaic finds that original testing had indicated. It seems that when gouging out the trench the bucket
literally skipped when it hit the hardest low layer. Right from 10 minutes after starting the morning dig it was recognized that it was not deep enough even though Ensor Vintage points were being found.
Richard said he will look it over again and see if the backhoe can actually cope with the hardness...
Where there is a will ( points ) there is a way ..A max test effort might be done by some hearty souls with a rented electric jack hammer.. and / or that patch of land right next to big hole fills with rain runoff in the proper 3 day Texas deluge,,,then we can dig with a butter knife.

Next look, Fulton Hollow. The trench was a very po****r dig area and many people raked the piles of removed dirt ( on the L of this pic )

Photobucket

I've been through this "raking" business many times on other digs and the results are ALWAYS the same, no matter how experienced or strong the raker
may be...It is IMPOSSIBLE to rake out a mound of dirt that is 3 feet deep.
Since we know for sure that there are good artifacts in there, I went after the problem differently......NO RAKING.

I just considered it a full scale dig. Move the dirt and most importantly...get the dirt back out of the way.

"trench" #1 insitu

Photobucket

Photobucket

Overall view. Trench on R, dirt dragged far back ( L in pic )

Photobucket

Trench #2 insitu

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A very respectable Marshall

Photobucket

Finds from trench #1 on L...#2 R

Photobucket

Hope this overly long report helps those interested in another shot.

Re: LIFE AFTER DIGFEST

A very respectable Marshall indeed! Great report Hal!

Nice finds , Hal

When in the trench and thinking of the big floods that will eventually be rolling thru, I am thinking the trench will become alot wider and maybe deeper in some spots.

The gravel bars down the way may be the surface hunters dream!

My hope is that a major rain holds off until all of that piled dirt can be hand dug through, shy of digging in a proper camp, thats about the richest soils one could expect.

IF there IS a major rain event there in the near future I plan to make the drive just to see the spectacle...Real TX floods are impressive ( we know that the ancients had great respect for them too)
We can see that the present low water channel is against the hillside. The new trench will redirect the deluge closer to the middle and also for a time devote energy to digging deeper...was that hollow all clean rock walls before 10,000 years of litter filled it in ?

My hope is that a major rain holds off until all of that piled dirt can be hand dug through, shy of digging in a proper camp, thats about the richest soils one could expect.

IF there IS a major rain event there in the near future I plan to make the drive just to see the spectacle...Real TX floods are impressive ( we know that the ancients had great respect for them too)
We can see that the present low water channel is against the hillside. The new trench will redirect the deluge closer to the middle and also for a time devote energy to digging deeper...was that hollow all clean rock walls before 10,000 years of litter filled it in ?

Photobucket
kinda had the same ideal we hit the trench dirt
Photobucket
sifted a few loads and got these
Photobucket
then went to Bills camp and got this one
not to bad for a 1/2 day 10-13-12