Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HE'S AT IT AGAIN

Looks like FrontPage ( MIckey ) just found yet ANOTHER blade at Barksdale today..
Nach just sent this in...

Photobucket

Re: HE'S AT IT AGAIN

Just in > > > > >

Photobucket

I'm still shaken after unearthing that killer whelk shell gorget at Barksdale! Thank the shell owl man!

Wow, that's amazing!

Heck of a find! What time period would that come from?

Way to go on a outdtanding find Patrick! That was just too cool to see in person!

Very unique, lotta workmanship in that piece of jewelry / adornment. What would the Nueces people have traded for that seafood ? translucent flint, Mammoth ivory ??
Any chance of a better look other than a picture of a picture on a cell phn ?

Is there enough curve in the shell to hear the ocean ?

Those are a couple of real beauties. That's the second shell that I've seen like that.

To see another shell with that near edge holed treatment, also found at Barksdale:
Frt pg top R, click PICTURE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVES.

96% down, Hunter Kinyon 3-20-09

i watched the video on youtube under jenningsdigs. very cool piece .

That's a different piece made from turtle shell and was found at palmers ranch dig at about the same time last Sunday

I have researched and found that it is a lightning Whelk shell not a conch and it is the only left-handed shell from the Gulf of Mexico !

Since we have nothing but a cell phn pic with no scale of this item, I was surprised to hear from a digger that was there that day that it is H U G E
( not your average 2 - 3 inch "gorget " )
Maybe too big to wear ? maybe the holes were for attaching something decorative and used as a ceremonial piece ?