Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Burnet county paleo

According to dr Hester this is a newly typed st Mary's hall.

Re: Burnet county paleo

Well, St. Mary's Hall or Plainview, either way I am glad I was there to see it come out. It's a great point. I'm happy for you bro. Hope to dig with you again soon.

That is a killer, the flaking is amazing!

Congrats on a great find!

Great
Dr H is very descriptive of this Vs PlainV...
Without for scale, do we presume about 4 inches ?

As nice as that is, somehow the " Saint Mary " tribe doesn't have the same fierce ring as something like the Perd or Montell tribe

Fantastic find Snoop. You were due one, congrats!

Nice find! I've found alot of quality points in Burnet county myself. Anywhere near Lake B ?

Thanks guys find o the year fr me for sure pat I just got your message thanks a ton. Hal isn't about two inches its been reworked pretty well on top. R Y it was. Pretty much on the other side of the county from the lake.

I wonder if Mr. Hester actually viewed your point in person or how you got that response from him? The illustration of the St. Mary's Hall in his newest book shows that type to have a dovetail type base & I wonder why the descrepency? Maybe Dr. H. might like to respond to this if possible also.
Thanks much for the clarification in advance.

There's one as an example similar to yours in the overstreet guide that was found above the falls on falls creek on lake B ...thats a rich area! Beautiful country too! I would have loved to have explored the caves below the falls on the Colorado river before they filled Buck.There was ceremonial blades found there unlike any others ever recorded in the state...its all under water of course! Here's a cool picture of it before the lake was filled years ago.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/plateaus/images/ap15.html

Very interesting related article R.Y...looks and describes like a better site area than Gault.
As the article points out, they were in a hurry to beat the water and early techniques were not refined...Today, each mano in that big pile would be in a plastic bag with 4 lines of descriptive location references and cradled in a
styrofoam lined crate ( like where they stored the arc in the Indy movie )

Could you please give another intrepretion of what you're actually saying, as "Dr H is very descriptive of this Vs PlainV..." Your train of thought seems to be pulling stuff from some unknown source or maybe I just don't understand your type of lingo.

Your original comment O'm repling about doesn't make much sense to me, so could you clarify your terminology via the questions below?

1. Where's Dr. H being descriptive of this type point...his most recent book, a personal conversation or what?
2. What's "this versus PlainV" supposed to mean? What's a "PlainV" & how does it relate to the posted point?

3. "Saint Mary" tribe doesn't have the same fierce ring as something like the Perd or Montell tribe."
1. What the heck is a fierce ring & what does it have to do with the Saint Mary point?

silver
Could you please give another intrepretion of what you're actually saying,

3. "Saint Mary" tribe doesn't have the same fierce ring as something like the Perd or Montell tribe."
1. What the heck is a fierce ring & what does it have to do with the Saint Mary point?

Guess I shouldn't have said anything over such a serious matter, we dont see many "Saint Mary H " come by and my first thought was of John Wayne yelling

" circle the wagons - those dirty rotten ( fierce ) Saint Mary Guys are going to attack "

The point is of the St. Mary's Hall type (see the new Turner, Hester and McReynolds Stone Artifacts.
They were long lumped into Plainview, but studies in the late 1990s showed they are a distinct type.

The point was been reworked, looks like it may have also been slightly burned (?), but the parallel-oblique
flaking and other technologies are pure St. Mary's Hall.

If you can, I would very much appreciate the measurements (length, width, thickness) so that I could
add it to my "data base" on St. Mary's Hall. Do you have an idea of where it came from...depth of
the site at the site, other artifacts associated? Sounds like it was in a mixed context.

Secp

This was Dr. Hester's response on another arrowhead forum. hope this helps a little.

Nice find Snoop ! The flaking reminds me of the Pacific Ocean hitting the cliffs off the Northern California coast in the winter. Good job bro! Let's dig sometime.

That is one sweet find! I haven't found a paleo point yet but I'm hoping some day I will.

That is one sweet find! I haven't found a paleo point yet but I'm hoping some day I will.