Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fall Creek 11/25/12

I found a cool blade today and a beaver tooth. I have never found a beaver's tooth digging before.

Re: Fall Creek 11/25/12

Nice Chris! We're y'all hand digging?

Nice finds..

I do believe that might be a very rare north Tx beavertail blade

Nice finds! Very intresting base on the knife. I was reading an article in The University of Texas archives about animal bones that were found in campsites, and confirmed to be that of animals that no longer live in our area.The migration patterns have changed over the years due to climate change etc..

Snapshot of the back side please.

Travis, we were hand-digging. SH and RY, do you think this could be a Friday knife? Flintpig, I'll post a photo of the back side when I get home from work tonight.

Hey Chris, I dont think it's a Friday blade,but I do think it's unusual. Hard to tell without seeing it, but it looks like the base was notched,unless it was unfinished. Because of the fine workmanship from the middle,to the tip it looks completed though.I do think it's a specific type because I'm holding its twin that I found in Burnet county as well.I will post a pic asap.

Here is the back:

and the front:

I dont care for Friday either. Just by rough triangluar shape maybe closer to a Gahagan which is listed in Dr H's book as being ranged in the NE TX.
Good worked flip side, rules out a big CF..
If all else fails...Put it in the bag with early Archaic blades.

Thanks for the info SH!!! RY, I would like to see a pic of that blade you found as well!

A fluted Gahagan Biface ? Certainly unusual, and just as certainly, possible. The Friday blade is no more, tossed into the dust bin of discarded artifact typology; Finis

Redman
The Friday blade is no more, tossed into the dust bin of discarded artifact typology; Finis

Red, I saw some of the excerpts by Dr H that completely disallowed the "Friday" designation but I must have missed the last page......Exactly what is the new name of this blade ?
I didn't exactly comprehend the reasoning. At least in the Eastern part of the hill country the best example of the blade in question is very prominently the shape of a small runabout boat at the waterline including a
square to slightly concave stern. Flaking quality can be from superb to "not bad" They are not rare, everybody has got at least one and they are very distinctive / not to be confused with any other piece of that length...

There is no picture of it under ANY name in the newest STONE ARTIFACTS book.
That doesn't seem fair, even the humble Corner tang blade has a name even though I always hear serious professional amateur diggers saying ;
" if we find Marcos points there will be CT's "......"if we find Castroville points there will be CT's "......."if we find Ensors there will be CT's "
.. . . . . . . .

I need to get Dr H's new book to keep up with the new typologies.

Good question SH. There are a number of blade types that are not or no longer included in the new Turner & Hester book. Fridays, Covingtons, Hare Bi-faces, Mineral Springs, Darl Blades, San Gabriels, Agate Basins and Hell Gaps. The best we can do is reclassify them based on where they were found and whats supposed to be here. I think a lot of what I've called Fridays, Darl Blades and Mineral Springs are actually Gahagan Bifaces . Covingtons, San Gabriels and Hare Bi-faces could just be preforms.

I am not convinced that Covington and San Gabriel are pre-forms. I will have to get the book. Good post.

Old habits are hard to break ( as opposed to "cant teach old collectors new ways " )
Just Archaic blades suits me but I can see where until some new designations are actually in the books, people will be refering to blades as "just
LOOKING like what USED to be " Friday, San Gabriel & Covingtons "

My better Archaic blades;

Photobucket

My Motorboat blade right in the middle...Thin, super good quality flaking

Photobucket

Nice show! The middle one,and one to the immediate left resemble the cache of three blades I found on Brushy Creek in Cedar Park.

Yeah, I like that . "It ain't a Friday, it just looks like one". Very nice assortment of Texas Blades.

I like Archaic blade. Just sayin...

I like Archaic blade. Just sayin...

That's a nice collection of blades Hal!