Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
G-9++ Killer Darl Blade

Photobucket

Photobucket

This blade has a twist to it thats is absolutely unreal!!
Very symetrical and thin, the best I have found !!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maybe there's a complete one out there yet!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a old find, just curious on ID.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: G-9++ Killer Darl Blade

Nice! What's the length/width on that? One of the three blades I found on brushy had a twist to it,but not that extreme! Congrats!

R.Y. Hey that blade is about 3 1/2" long and 1" wide. Sure proud of it!

Thanks

Nice. Have found Darls with the classic twist and some without. I wonder why some were made that way? Nice find. Good length. A real keeper.

That blade is Awesome!

GOOD GRIEF..LOOK AT THAT SAND PIT very impressive !
The severe twist on the blade is easy to explain, it's a grapefruit slicing knife .
That base is so distinctive on the little red one ( and the same type upper L of it ? ) it's tempting to call it an EPPS but maybe varients of Kay blade ( ? )
That usual prize winner Bell aint gettin much publicity
Good finds ( including more Manos for the Mano mountain )

Any insects in the two Amber pieces ?

One word for that bad boy, wicked! Congrats & thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the looks,

Hal, I was thinking andice?

Sandman, that is a very nice Gahagan Biface. You can call it whatever you want, but its not a Darl Blade because there's no such thing. The Darl Blade misnomer came about because Gahagan Bifaces were found in close proximity to Darl Dart Points. Darl Dart Points and Gahagan Bifaces overlap in Transitional Archaic ( A.D. 200 ) and the Late Prehistoric ( A.D. 700 ).
A similar situation exists with the Pedernales Dart Points. Some Pedernales points were found on a known Comanche campsite and were labeled " Comanche Points" even though they were made three to four thousand years before the Comanche tribe arrived in Texas.

Id call it darl blade before gahagan. Shapes wrong for a gahagan. Nice find

Redman
Sandman, that is a very nice Gahagan Biface. You can call it whatever you want, but its not a Darl Blade because there's no such thing. The Darl Blade misnomer came about because Gahagan Bifaces were found in close proximity to Darl Dart Points. Darl Dart Points and Gahagan Bifaces overlap in Transitional Archaic ( A.D. 200 ) and the Late Prehistoric ( A.D. 700 ).
A similar situation exists with the Pedernales Dart Points. Some Pedernales points were found on a known Comanche campsite and were labeled " Comanche Points" even though they were made three to four thousand years before the Comanche tribe arrived in Texas.

Well I have heard that some bi-faces have been eliminated and just when I was getting better at IDing them. LOL Curious why it was decided to do away with the darl blade instead of the Gagahan? When comparing darl points and the used to be darl blade it seems to be easy to see the same darl edgework.

Heres is a Gagahan blade.

Photobucket

In my eyes it has a style of it own, but I will go with the archeologist as
without all there study,testing and hardwork we would be very much in the dark and would have names of all kinds for a certain type!!!!!!!!!!!

Its called a sandman point! killer twist!

sandman
I was thinking andice?

And a beautiful Andice it is
In the Stone Book, Dr H refers to a Bison skull found in Oklahoma with an Andice imbedded.

Hang in there Sandy, we'll get a proper name for your blade eventually along with the ex Friday, San Gabriels etc,
Thats a beautiful example of a classic Gahagan you show.
( and a nice Archaic grapefruit blade )

This fresh norther brought a lot of birds into the neighborhood. I went down in the creek bottom early this morning and shot a pair of Anas platyrhynchos. In different parts of the country they might be called canard francais, English ducks, frostybeaks, ringnecks, red-legs, stock ducks, grey ducks, susies, yellow-legs, curley-tails or green heads. I just call 'em Mallards............. but whats in a name ?

Wow, those duck people REALLY have a serious ID disparity. Aside from the adjustment of names we were talking about, I had noticed years ago that there
are a few Texas points that have some common similarities in other parts of the country but with different names. ( flip through the various regional departments of the Overstreet book )