Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
4 JERRY G. ( DIG TOOL PROFESSOR )

. . . . . . . . . . . . Are you still there Jer

Re: 4 JERRY G. ( DIG TOOL PROFESSOR )

hey Hal, I'm still here. Whats up?

gilbert
Whats up?

Hi Jer, I had given up on designing new dig tools after we pushed the limits of technology as far as it could go a couple of years ago.
But to kill a couple of rainy days and relive the "good old days " I put together a couple of different screening tools. Might be of some interest to
active screeners.

Two concept prototypes worked good.
This is the "Barksdale"..good for sandy soil,

Photobucket

The "Juno", features long thin tines for dealing with massive amounts of fire rock

Photobucket

The final models. note tines on the Juno is beefed up

Photobucket

Photobucket

Very good job Hal, Two good functional designs. Looks strong but light. Im assuming the smaller short spines between the longer ones in the rake are for grabbing roots and such. The spine on the end for breaking up clods maybe?

Hal, are you going to donate that knife to the Smithsonian upon your demise? That has to be one of the most famous knives in Texas, next to the Bowie knife. Nice looking tools you manufactured there.

Ach, highly technical manufacturing details. ..just like the good old days.

That spur indeed is for a try at a clod cracker... The small teeth ( cut on a diagonal ) was done with just a 6 inch chop saw blade, close tolerance.
I would have prefered they not be there, just for appearance. With great effort I managed to cut & grind out 2 of them...such a lot of tedious work not worth it for the others.

That knife has served the flint world well for 12 years. No plans for retirement but it could find a lifetime home in a display case with the Paleo
material.
I have been musing on a digital watch that in addition to time & date would have an inch scale on the side..for use of documenting static flint ( not for insitu's )

Speaking of homemade tools to cover an individuals needs... . . . >

Check this swing pick that Chuck made...
It's a 10 pound sledge head with a giant chisel welded on...AND ,,,the handle is steel square stock..

Photobucket

When we talk about the "foot pick " that I use, I refer to it as an implement for old people...

I would describe Chuck's invention as being for someone not over 19 in SUPREME shape...( preferably an Ex navy seal )

Still on tools

Probably the most widely used screening tool is the super light weight shrimp croupier.. After years of brutal use ( like this one of Corner tang Ed's )
cracks can occur near the weld

Photobucket

A good easy fix is to put an aluminum backup plate on, rivet or nut & bolt

Photobucket

The new "Juno" screening tool really did a super job On the Juno #2 dig site which is REALLY dense with fire rock that needs sorting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like it

With all the high powered "new design " tools and wiggle picks the darling of the landscapers grabing attention :::....Travis demonstrates a golden oldie !!!!

The venerable SWING PICK

photo DSCF9342_zps841dc260.jpg